Skip to main content

Vehicle crossovers or dropped kerbs

What is a vehicle crossover / dropped kerb?

An authorised vehicle crossover ("dropped kerb") allows you to access your property safely and easily when you are using a car or other domestic vehicle. Kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

Those seeking a vehicle crossover must:

  • obtain prior agreement from us and
  • use one of our approved contractors.

It is an offence to carry out any works on the footway without our express permission. Unauthorised vehicle crossovers will cause the footway to deteriorate and put those using the footway at risk. We take seriously our duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage, if necessary by legal action.

The application process

The vehicle crossover application is broken down into two stages.

Stage 1: A site suitability survey of the proposed vehicle crossover to determine if it meets the current criteria.

Stage 2: Arrangement of work, including providing you with the necessary information to gain contractor quotes.

Before applying you must:

  1. Read the Vehicle Crossover guidance notes (PDF) on how to apply
  2. Know the classification of the road along which you want a vehicle crossover, so that you know whether planning permission may be required or not. You can do this through our our interactive map. More information about planning permission can be found in the guidance notes
  3. Have planning permission from your local district or borough or a letter from them confirming you do not need planning permission to proceed
  4. Understand the costs involved

Make your application

Apply online

The guidance notes have advice about timescales for the various aspects of the application.

After you have submitted the application

Your Local Highways Officer will come to the proposed location, carry out the site suitability survey and if successful, mark out the location of the proposed crossover. We will do this within 20 working days of receiving your application. We will then guide you through the next steps.

Review of completed work

Once the vehicle crossover has been completed, we will visually inspect it to make sure the work has been carried out satisfactorily and to specification.

To ensure the quality of work of the approved contractors, we also carry out lab sampling on approximately 10% of all works.

The costs

  Cost What this involves
Site suitability survey (stage 1)  £75

A site suitability survey will be carried out for all applications, regardless of road classification, by the Local Highway Officer. The survey will decide if you are eligible for works to take place.

The cost of the survey is £75 (non-refundable).

Full application (stage 2)  £145       

If your proposed location has been approved in principle at stage 1, you will have 6 months to decide if you want to progress to a full application.

The total cost for a full application is £220, therefore the remaining £145 will be due if you do decide to proceed.

The full fee covers:

  • The administration costs
  • Contacting the Utility companies to see if they have any equipment buried at the site.
  • Management of the works with chosen contractor
  • Inspection of the site to make sure that it is built to the correct standards

This fee is non refundable.

As part of our initial checks, we will contact all of the utility companies to see what equipment (pipes, cables etc.) is located underground. This information will be passed to you in your 'crossover pack'. If there is equipment that requires adjustment or diversion, you will be responsible for the arrangement and cost.

Building costs £1000+

The cost depends on the amount of work that needs to be done and the contractor you use. Expect the cost to be from £1000 upwards.

However there are several external factors that can increase this figure -

  • Utility adjustment/diversion
  • Street furniture adjustment
  • The size of the proposed crossover
  • The gradient of the proposed crossover
  • The proposed site of the crossover
  • The sensitivity of the road

Unsuccessful applications

If it is not possible for a crossing to be provided we will advise you in writing. Applications are assessed against the criteria outlined in the guidance, and the main reasons for declined applications are provided in the householder guidance notes.

There is no appeals procedure under the Highways Act but all applications are considered fairly in line with this process.

If your application has been declined, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed.

When asking for a review, you will need to clearly set out the reasons why you consider the criteria was not correctly applied. Your review will be investigated by a senior engineer, who will aim to respond within 10 workings days of having received your request. Their decision will be final.

All reviews must be writing. Please see the details below for contacting us:

  • Email: 
  • Post: Surrey Highways, Hazel House, Merrow Lane, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7BQ

Return to top

Pavement Horizon

We are repairing pavements in Surrey over the next five years as part of a £20 million investment to improvement Surrey's roads and pavements.

If you have received a letter from us because we are repairing the pavement on your road, and you wish to make an application to us, please follow the same application process outlined on this page.

If your application is successful in principle at step 1, we will provide you with a quote from our resurfacing contractor to carry out the works at the same time as the pavement resurfacing.

Please note that sometimes our works dates have to change at short notice and this may also affect whether or not we can construct the crossover at the same time. If this happens, you will still be able to gain quotes from our list of approved contractors and have your crossover constructed after the resurfacing takes place.

Return to top

Files available to download