Skip to main content

Vehicle crossovers or dropped kerbs

What is a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb)?

An authorised vehicle crossover ("dropped kerb") allows you to access your property safely and easily when you are using a car or other domestic vehicle. Kerbs are dropped from their normal height and the pavement or verge is strengthened to take the weight of the vehicle crossing it to avoid damage to the pavement, pipes or cables buried beneath it.

Those seeking a vehicle crossover must follow our application process and use one of our approved contractors.

If you are looking to carry out a wider scheme of works which includes a vehicle crossover, rather than just works for a single access, please contact our Transport Development Planning Team as there is a separate process to cover this.

It is an offence to carry out any works on the footway without our express permission. Unauthorised vehicle crossovers will cause the footway to deteriorate and put those using the footway at risk. We take seriously our duty to maintain our highways and protect it from damage, if necessary by legal action.

The application process

Before applying you must:

  • Read and understand the Vehicle Crossover householder guidance notes (PDF) on how to apply
  • Understand the costs involved
  • Have planning permission from your local district or borough or a letter from them confirming you do not need planning permission to proceed. You may have to pay a charge for this confirmation, and it may take up to 6 weeks. More information about planning permission can be found in the guidance notes
  • Know the classification of the road along which you want a vehicle crossover. You can do this through our interactive map

Make your application

There are several stages to the application process, which are described in detail in the guidance notes. We will guide you through the stages after you submit the initial application.

Apply online (Stage 1)

After you have submitted the application

Your Local Highways Officer will come to the proposed location and carry out an assessment. The location of the proposed crossover will be marked out, unless for any reason we are unable to approve the application. We will do this within 20 working days of receiving your application. We will then guide you through the next steps.

Review of completed work

Once the vehicle crossover has been completed, we will visually inspect it to make sure the work has been carried out satisfactorily and to specification.

To ensure the quality of work of the approved contractors, we also carry out lab sampling on a selection of works.

The costs

 Cost What this involves
Initial assessment (stage 1) £80 (non refundable)

For applications that do not require planning permission*, an on-site assessment will be carried out by a Local Highways Officer (LHO) to decide if the location meets the criteria and if works can take place.

For applications where planning permission is required and has been granted, a site visit will be carried out by an LHO, who will mark up the proposed vehicle crossover.

The £80 fee covers:

  • The initial assessment / site visit
  • Marking out the proposed crossover (if applicable)
  • Preparation of some of the required documentation
  • Administration costs

*Your District or Borough Council will be able to tell you if you require planning permission. It is likely that planning permission will be required if:

  • The property's vehicle access would lead directly onto a classified road (A,B or C road)
  • The property involved is a listed building
  • The property is a flat or maisonette
  • The access serves more than one dwelling, or serves commercial or industrial premises
  • The property has had its permitted development rights removed
  • You intend to construct the proposed parking area using non porous material, e.g. concrete, tarmac, non-permeable paving

Our Transport Development Planning Team offers a Pre-Planning Application Advice Service and is able to advise on the suitability of any access before you apply for planning permission

Full application (stage 2) £150 (non refundable)

If your proposed location has been approved in principle at stage 1, you will have 6 months to decide if you want to progress to a full application.

The total cost for a full application is £230, therefore the remaining £150 will be due if you do decide to proceed.

The full fee covers:

  • The administration costs
  • Contacting the Utility companies to see if they have any equipment buried at the site.
  • Management of the works with chosen contractor
  • Inspection of the site to make sure that it is built to the correct standards

This fee is non refundable.

As part of our initial checks, we will contact all of the utility companies to see what equipment (pipes, cables etc.) is located underground. This information will be passed to you in your 'crossover pack'. If there is equipment that requires adjustment or diversion, you will be responsible for the arrangement and cost.

Building costs £1500 (average)

The cost depends on the amount of work that needs to be done and the contractor you use. The average cost is roughly £1500.

There are several external factors that can affect your quote, including:

  • The size and gradient of the proposed crossover
  • Utility adjustment/diversion
  • Street furniture adjustment
  • How quickly the contractor can carry out the works
  • If traffic lights are needed or not to carry out the works
Vehicle crossover re-mark (optional)£80 (non refundable)

If you have already agreed the vehicle crossover markings with us, and ask at a later point (following full application payment) for the markings to be changed, a £80 fee is payable.

This covers the administration and officer time required to re-attend the site and carry out the request.

Unsuccessful applications

If it is not possible for a crossing to be provided we will advise you in writing. Applications are assessed against the criteria outlined in the guidance, and the main reasons for declined applications are provided in the Vehicle crossover householder guidance notes (PDF).

There is no appeals procedure under the Highways Act but all applications are considered fairly in line with this process.

If your application has been declined, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed.

When asking for a review, you will need to clearly set out the reasons why you consider the criteria was not correctly applied. Your review will be investigated by a senior engineer, who will aim to respond within 10 workings days of having received your request. Their decision will be final.

All reviews must be writing. Please see the details below for contacting us:

  • Email:
  • Post: Surrey Highways, Hazel House, Merrow Lane, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7BQ

Files available to download