The county council welcomes and encourages discussions before a developer submits a planning application to a district or borough council. It invariably results in better quality applications which stand a better chance of a successful outcome and helps speed up the decision making process after submission. The development industry can avoid abortive costs on inappropriate and un-resolvable proposals if a pre-planning discussion takes place.
Pre-Application advice will provide you with:
- an understanding of how national and local guidance and policies will be applied to the transport aspect of the development
- the potential for reducing the time that professional teams spend working up the proposals
- an indication of those proposals that may be completely unacceptable from the transport/highways point of view
- written confirmation of the advice that can be submitted as part of any subsequent application.
An initial free response setting out the main issues will be given if the following information is provided:
- Site Plans
- Site Address
- Development Description
If further written advice, a meeting or site visit are needed, the following information will be required and a fee charged:
- Confirmation of the existing use of the site, including planning application history, where appropriate.
- Description of the proposed development, accompanied by sketch plans showing the proposal.
- Scoping for Transport Statement/Assessment or a draft of these documents, if necessary.
- Any other information critical to the consideration of the proposal at this pre-application stage.
- A letter confirming that the charge will be paid within 14 days of receipt of an invoice.
Fees are determined according to the type and scale of the proposed development.
|Number of dwellings||Further written response, meeting or site visit|
|2 to 4||£192 + vat|
|5 to 9||£444 + vat|
|10 to 24||£750 + vat|
|25 to 49||£1260 + vat|
|50 to 80||£1884 + vat|
|81 to 250||£2640 + vat|
|251 to 500||£5016 + vat - can be split into two equal payments*|
|501 to 1999||£7524 + vat - can be split into three equal payments*|
|2000 or more||Price on request depending on scale of proposals|
Commercial and retail development
|Gross floor area||Further written response, meeting or site visit|
|Up to 100m²||£192 + vat|
|101m² to 500m²||£756 + vat|
|501m² to 1000m²||£1260 + vat|
|1001m² to 2000m²||£2004 + vat|
|2001m² to 5000m²||£2268 + vat|
|5001m² to 7500m²||£2640 + vat|
|7501m² to 10,000m²||£5016 + vat - can be split into two equal payments*|
|10,001m² to 25,000m2||£7524 + vat - can be split into three equal payments*|
|25,001m2 or more||Price on request depending on scale of proposals|
*First payment of the fee must be received before any meeting or written advice is provided (see procedure section above). Written confirmation of payment must include any subsequent payments and all should be paid within 14 days of receiving an invoice.
For mixed-use development or if your proposal does not fit into the categories listed above, please contact Surrey County Council for further advice. VAT will be charged at the current rate.
- No charge will be made for householder and other minor proposals (with the exception of new or amended vehicle accesses requiring a site visit, which will incur a charge)
- With the exception of private schools no charge will be made for charitable and public sector non-profit making proposals
- No charge will be made for development proposals from Surrey County Council or any of the eleven constituent authorities
- No charge will be made for the development of Policy with the Local Planning Authorities, until adoption of relevant policy documents.
The charge will cover the following work:
- A single site visit (if no on site meeting is held)
- An indication of the appropriate policies, standards and guidance against which the proposal will be assessed.
- If requested, a single face-to-face meeting on site, at Surrey County Council offices, or borough/district offices if appropriate.
- A written response will be provided in accordance with a timescale to be agreed
- A single re-check of the scheme following any necessary revisions.
- Meetings will be arranged within 10 working days of receipt of payment.
Please note: The final response is made taking account of revisions to the proposals, any changed circumstances and the results of public consultation. The final decision on any planning application is taken by the planning authority, not by the county council as consultee.
Minerals and Waste Development
|Scale of development||Further written response, meeting and/or site visit|
|Minor1||£1046 + vat|
|Major1||£4185 + vat - can be split into two equal payments|
|Other2||Price on request depending on scale of proposals|
1 Minor and major development is generally defined in accordance with Surrey County Council's Minerals and Waste Pre-application Planning Advice
2 Other proposals generate more than 50 HGV movements per day, are significantly smaller or larger that the definitions for minor and major development, or require input which goes beyond an initial written response, meeting or site visit.
If you have a query use the relevant e-mail address below to contact us:
- Elmbridge - email@example.com
- Epsom and Ewell - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Guildford - email@example.com
- Mole Valley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reigate and Banstead - email@example.com
- Runnymede - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spelthorne - email@example.com
- Surrey Heath - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tandridge - email@example.com
- Waverley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Woking - email@example.com
Transport Development Planning
Surrey County Council
Kingston Upon Thames
Files available to download
- Pre-Application Charging for Transport Development Planning Matters (132.3 KB)
Background for Pre Application Charging