Surrey Heritage brings together Surrey County Council's expertise in caring for and promoting our county's rich past.
Our staff can help you to discover, investigate and protect the county's written heritage, historic buildings, archaeology, and artefacts. We can advise you about caring for historic documents, inform you about Surrey's historic buildings, help you explore Surrey's museums and enable you to learn more about your Surrey ancestors and the county's rich and varied history.
Protecting the past
- At Surrey History Centre we preserve historic documents relating to Surrey's families, businesses and communities from the 12th to the 21st centuries.
- Our document conservator can advise on how to care for your own documents.
- Surrey County Archaeological Unit (SCAU) is a long established provider of high quality archaeological services to both commercial and public sector clients in Surrey and the surrounding district. The Unit's highly skilled staff provide consultancy services, fieldwork, post excavation projects, education, outreach, heritage promotion and publications.
Discovering the past
- At Surrey History Centre you can use our fabulous collection of historic documents to trace the history of your family, street or town. You can find out about men who served in Surrey's regiments, uncover the history of a Broadwood piano, or learn about writers, artists and gardeners who have lived or worked in the county.
- Our Exploring Surrey's Past (ESP) website gives you access to a wide range of archive, museum and archaeological information resources that help you explore the history and archaeology of the county. Our
- Our local studies reference library includes maps, newspapers, family and local history books and pamphlets. You can reserve or return books from other Surrey branch libraries and access on-line reference services through our library terminals.
Promoting the past
- At Surrey History Centre we hold regular talks, displays, study days and events to celebrate Surrey's history. We can also visit your society or organisation to talk about the wide range of our work. Our Learning Officers can help with education matters.
- We work with Surrey's diverse communities to ensure their stories and experiences are recorded for all time.
- There are over forty museums in Surrey, all with their own stories to tell. Through the Surrey Museums website you can find out all you need to know to help with your visit.
Working with you
- We can help you learn more about Surrey's history through our work with museums, colleges, schools, local history groups and other partners. Teachers can contact us for more information.
- You can help us preserve and celebrate Surrey's rich history. Contact us if you know of archives at risk; visit us for talks and displays; join us as a volunteer.
Files available to download
Surrey Heritage 70th anniversary booklet (PDF)
Discover 70 favourites from Surrey Heritage's collections to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the archive service in Surrey