Opportunities for volunteering are varied and could include:
- Listing or indexing historic documents and publications
- Cataloguing historic photographs and other illustrations
- Supporting the Surrey History Trust by helping with newsletter productions and with events to raise funds to assist Surrey Heritage in rescuing and promoting Surrey's history
- Foldering and boxing records to ensure their protection
- Writing pages for the Exploring Surrey's Past website
- Recording antiquities recently discovered via the Portable Antiquities Scheme;
- Researching and inputting new data on archaeological sites and monuments into the Historic Environment Record
- Assisting with archaeological fieldwork
- Listing archaeological finds
- Processing of archaeological artefacts
- Involvement with a variety of community archaeological projects
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Surrey Heritage, or have any questions about volunteering, please contact us. Please note that Surrey Heritage can only offer a limited number of volunteer placements.
- For further information on archaeology volunteering please contact our Community Archaeologist on 01483 518737 or email@example.com
- We take a limited number of work experience placements each year for year 11 and 6th form/college students. Placements consist of 4 days (Tues-Fri) based at Surrey History Centre, working with members of the Surrey Heritage team, including archives and archaeology. Booking opens on 1 September at the start of each school year and closes on 31 October. Successful candidates will be notified in early November. To apply for work experience at Surrey Heritage, please contact us.