The Conservation Section provides technical support for Surrey History Centre in the following ways:
- By undertaking the conservation of archival materials in a wide range of types and formats including paper and parchment documents, books, maps, seals, or photographs. Treatments may include mechanical and aqueous cleaning, stain removal, deacidification, consolidation, repair using wet and dry techniques and binding
- By arranging for the repair of all local studies material, including printed books, pamphlets, illustrations and published maps
- By maintaining a database of archive/local studies material for identifying conservation needs
- By managing the preventative care programme for drying, insect eradication, cleaning and packing all new archival/local studies accessions, and for improving the packing of existing deposits
- By advising on the safe handling of archive/local studies material
- By managing and maintaining a plan for the prevention of disasters, and the recovery and salvage of materials affected by such disasters
- By monitoring atmospheric conditions and storage standards within the repositories at the Surrey History Centre
- By advising on the conservation standards for the display of archival/local studies material
- By promoting and advising on all aspects of conservation and preservative care to members of the public, local history societies and forums, museums and other bodies to help ensure the survival and better preservation of Surrey's documentary heritage.
Our conservator is always happy to provide advice on caring for your records. They can also undertake small commissions for external clients; time costed at £65 an hour. Please contact the conservator on telephone 01483 518737, email email@example.com or via our contact page.
For more about how we look after our holdings, the treatments we use and the standards we seek to follow, see our Preservation Policy.
- The storage and protection of books and documents
- The storage and protection of photographic material
- Safe handling of books and documents
- Making a heritage scrapbook
- Displaying books and documents
- Insect eradication service for museum and archive materials
- Suppliers of conservation materials and equipment