Surrey History Centre cares for and makes publicly accessible the historic archive and local studies collections relating to the County of Surrey. The Centre was established in 1998 by Surrey County Council to hold and develop the collections formerly housed in Surrey Record Office, Kingston, Guildford Muniment Room and Surrey Local Studies Library. In 2006 it became part of Surrey Heritage.
Millions of documents dating from the 12th to the 21st centuries are stored in our strongrooms. They are appraised, sorted, catalogued and indexed to facilitate access, given conservation treatment where necessary and stored in the optimum environment for their long term preservation.
We aim to ensure that Surrey History Centre's archive and local studies collections represent all aspects of the county's social, political, economic, religious and cultural life. They also inform and drive our work in identifying, preserving and celebrating Surrey's dynamic and diverse cultural heritage which in turn promotes community identity, cohesion and well-being.
Here you can read the policies which guide what we collect, how we look after and promote our precious holdings and the framework of standards and code of ethics which govern what we do.
Files available to download
- Surrey History Centre Collections Management Overview (67.6 KB)
Surrey History Centre's integrated approach to the management of its collections
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Collecting Policy (94.6 KB)
Collection range, geographical scope and development at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Collections Information Policy (83.6 KB)
Information about collections at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Archives Appraisal Policy (83.1 KB)
Selection of material for permanent preservation at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Preservation Policy (168.3 KB)
Preservation of archives and local studies collections at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Digital Preservation Policy (11.2 KB)
Framework for managing digital records at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre access to records policy (153.6 KB)
Access to records held at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Access and Engagement Policy (190.2 KB)
Access to the building and archive collections at Surrey History Centre
- Archives and Data Protection legislation note (26.0 KB)
Supplementary document which accompanies Surrey Heritage Privacy Notice