Surrey History Centre cares for and makes publicly accessible the historic archive and local studies collections relating to the County of Surrey. The Centre was established in 1998 by Surrey County Council to hold and develop the collections formerly housed in Surrey Record Office, Kingston, Guildford Muniment Room and Surrey Local Studies Library. In 2006 it became part of Surrey Heritage.
Millions of documents dating from the 12th to the 21st centuries are stored in our strongrooms. They are appraised, sorted, catalogued and indexed to facilitate access, given conservation treatment where necessary and stored in the optimum environment for their long term preservation.
We aim to ensure that Surrey History Centre's archive and local studies collections represent all aspects of the county's social, political, economic, religious and cultural life. They also inform and drive our work in identifying, preserving and celebrating Surrey's dynamic and diverse cultural heritage which in turn promotes community identity, cohesion and well-being.
Here you can read the policies which guide what we collect, how we look after and promote our precious holdings and the framework of standards and code of ethics which govern what we do.
Files available to download
- Surrey History Centre Collections Management Overview (67.6 KB)
Surrey History Centre's integrated approach to the management of its collections
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Collecting Policy (94.6 KB)
Guidance on what we collect, the geographical scope of our collecting activity and how we are intending to develop the range of our collections in the future
- Surrey History Centre Collections Information Policy (83.6 KB)
Guidance on the information we collect and create relating to the collections in our care
- Surrey History Centre Archives Appraisal Policy (83.1 KB)
Guidance on the principles we follow in selecting records for permanent preservation at Surrey History Centre
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Preservation Policy (168.3 KB)
Guidance on how we look after the collections in our care to ensure their preservation into the future
- Surrey History Centre Digital Preservation Policy (11.2 KB)
Guidance on how we manage and care for born-digital records at Surrey History Centre to ensure their preservation into the future
- Surrey History Centre access to records policy (153.6 KB)
Guidance on how we see to ensure public access to the records in our care while respecting the rights of data subjects and regulating access to sensitive information for as long as necessary
- Surrey History Centre Archives and Local Studies Access and Engagement Policy (190.2 KB)
Guidance on how we seek to provide access to our collections and use them to engage with new and existing audiences
- Archives and Data Protection legislation note (26.0 KB)
Information on how records selected for permanent preservation are covered by data protection legislation (supplementary document to our Privacy Notice)