Swap your Yankee candle for an LED alternative
As we head into the festive period, the evenings are longer, darker, and colder we know many of you will be reaching for the matchbox and lighting candles this winter.
This could be as an alternative to turning your lights on or to enjoy the beautiful scent of cinnamon on Christmas eve.
However, candles are a common cause of fires at home and this festive season, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) are urging you to take the right steps to not put your life or property at risk.
Where possible, you could swap candles for LED alternatives to remove the risk of fire. LED lights create the same effect as using candles, without the potential for danger.
As a result of the cost of living crisis, candles are also being promoted by some on social media as a heating alternative. These include heating hacks such as using them with terracotta plant pots. These may seem handy, but they have the potential to put you or others in danger. LED equivalents are not only safer but could also save you money this winter.
Surrey Fire and Resue Service (SFRS) top tips
If you are going to use candles and incense burners, please do so safely by following SFRS's tips below:
- Never leave candles unattended
- Make sure you put out candles, incense, and oil burners when you leave the room, and especially before bed
- Place them on solid surfaces in heat resistant holders that are big enough to contain melted wax
- Keep them away from flammable materials such as curtains, furniture and clothing
- Keep candles and naked flames out of reach of children and pets
- Don't cover candles with anything, items placed over a candle will get very hot and could melt, cause burns or catch fire
- Candles should not be used for anything other than their intended purpose
- Keep candles 3 inches apart from each other
- Have at least one smoke alarm on each level of your home and test them weekly
Please visit SFRS's Cost of Living webpage, for more advice on how to #SaveSafely this winter.
Surrey Matters Cost of Living Podcast
Listen to the Surrey Matters podcast for energy and money saving tips, grants available to make your home more energy efficient. How to keep safe when keeping warm, what and where new Warm Hubs are in Surrey, and about the latest scams to beware of.
More from your council
- No One Left Behind
- Arranging care and support for you or a loved one?
- Afghan refugees in Surrey
- Celebrating STARS in Surrey
- How to safely dispose of batteries
- Cost of Living financial support available
- Chimney safety
- Firework and bonfire safety
- Gas safety at home
- How we propose to save £14.4m in 2023/24
- Changes to fire regulations from 23 January
- Do you know how safe your new or old electric blanket is?