Older people will get their own front door and access to care and support
Three new Surrey sites have been reserved for affordable extra care housing which will offer older people their own front door and round-the-clock access to care and support if they need it.
The sites in Lingfield, Redhill and Egham will be made available for purpose-built extra care apartments, subject to planning approvals. More than 200 self-contained flats could be provided across the three sites.
Extra care housing supports older people to live their best lives, independently and in a home of their own, and is different from residential care homes.
The three proposed new sites are:
- Former Orchard Court care home, Lingfield, in Tandridge
- Former Birchlands care home, Englefield Green, Egham, in Runnymede
- Colebrook, Redhill, in Reigate and Banstead
The council's Cabinet gave the go-ahead at its July meeting for the three sites to be taken forward for extra care housing. More details can be found in papers presented to the meeting (items eight and nine).
The council is committed to providing 725 affordable new homes in extra care housing developments across Surrey by 2030. Six sites have already been put forward for planning permission – in Guildford, Ottershaw, Camberley, Frimley, Worcester Park and Banstead - which would, between them, create around 370 new homes.
These latest three sites could provide around 220 apartments, putting the council on course to meet 80 per cent of its target, with further site options under consideration.
The developments are expected to include a mix of one and two-bed apartments and will boast communal facilities for residents to enjoy such as a café and landscaped garden. A key principle is that the developments will be welcoming of the wider local community.
More information about the future of extra care housing in Surrey can be found on the extra care housing web page.
More from health and wellbeing
- Have you registered your Defibrillator?
- Celebrating 2 years of Period Dignity in Surrey
- Mental Health Resources
- Surrey launches new online Home Equipment Finder
- Seven healthy habits which can reduce your risk of dementia
- Vaping what you should know
- New short breaks centres planned for adults with support needs
- Protect yourself, family, and friends against Measles
- Annual Health check for people with learning difficulties
- Your sexual health matters, at any age