Know Your Numbers Week, 5 to 11 September
5-11 September is 'Know Your Numbers' Week, a week where we encourage you to get to know your blood pressure numbers, understand what they mean and what you can do to better manage your blood pressure.
1 in 3 adults in the UK have high blood pressure and 1 in 2 adults with high blood pressure do not know they have it or are being treated for it.
What is high blood pressure?
When your heart beats, it pumps blood around your body to give it the energy and oxygen it needs. As the blood moves, it pushes against the sides of the blood vessels. The strength of this pushing is your blood pressure.
If your blood pushes against your blood vessel walls with too much force, it puts a strain on your heart and blood vessels. This is high blood pressure.
Over time it can lead to several health problems including heart attacks, stroke, kidney disease and some forms of dementia. The good news is there are lots of things you can do to lower it.
Free blood pressure monitoring service
In Surrey we offer the BP+ service which is a free blood pressure monitoring service, where you can have your blood pressure and pulse rate checked.
BP+ checks are free and available to anyone over the age of 35 not currently being treated for high blood pressure or an irregular heart rate.
Just call one of the participating pharmacies that is most convenient for you and book an appointment. The check only takes 10 minutes, and it could save your life.
Find a pharmacy providing BP+ in Surrey near you using the BP+ in Surrey map web page.
How can I improve my cardiovascular health?
There are many ways to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, including having high blood pressure checks and finding out whether you have a high or irregular heart rate.
Visit the Healthy Surrey Self Care web page to find out more how smoking, alcohol, stress, salt and your weight can affect your heart.
More from health and wellbeing
- Creating a dementia-friendly Surrey
- Caring for Surrey's Carers
- Have you registered your Defibrillator?
- Nature on prescription in Surrey
- Community nature projects awarded grants to improve health and wellbeing
- Do you know where to turn?
- It’s time for period dignity across Surrey
- Coping with Exam Stress
- Your sexual health and wellbeing
- Mental Health Resources
- Are you struggling to stay independent at home?
- Help stop the stigma around addiction and mental health
- Technology Enabled Care team wins innovation award
- Overdose awareness
- Your new active journey
- Human Papillomavirus Vaccinations (HPV) for boys and girls