Will Gabe's story inspire you to start earning rewards?
Sometimes we all need incentives to help us make a change. Which is why we've teamed up with BetterPoints, a reward scheme that logs your journeys made by public transport or by walking, cycling, wheeling, scooting, or any other form of active travel. You can earn points to buy a coffee, high street vouchers or donate to your favourite charity, when you leave the car at home and opt to travel sustainably instead.
To celebrate World Car Free Day on 22 September and TravelWise Week from 16 to 22 September, we are upping the rewards you can earn. If you're not already, simply sign up to BetterPoints and record a car-free journey which is over a mile, on the app every day during TravelWise Week to be in with a chance of winning an experience at Go Ape, Thorpe Park or Denbies Wine Estate and a European City Break. Not only that, but by recording a journey of over a mile on Car Free Day, you can be in with the chance of winning 50,000 points (£50).
What's so good about the app? We caught up with Gabe from Haslemere to share his BetterPoints story.
After passing his driving test, using the car had become habitual for Gabe. That was until he decided to 'go green' with his travel choices. With the help of BetterPoints, he has become a public transport convert. Here is what he had to say:
"I learnt to drive last year, after which I drove almost everywhere. I realised though that this wasn't great for the environment and that I should try to change. I was drawn in by the idea of earning rewards, so I gave it a go and I haven't looked back.
Despite working opposite the train station, literally a few seconds away from the front door, I was still driving. It made me ask myself, 'why am I not getting the train and earning rewards for it'?
I like the fact that the rewards are attainable. You do a bit of walking or riding on public transport and soon enough you have enough points to get money off at Costa Coffee or Dylan's Ice Cream, which is conveniently just around the corner from my house!
I'm now using my car so little that it struggles to start. If there is any regular journey that I can do by bus or train, I will".
I feel much better about myself that I'm doing something for the environment, which I really care about. Seeing the CO2 emissions savings makes me feel good.
Taking the bus or train has made my travel time far more productive. I am learning about marketing theory for my job and the journey affords me the time to focus on my reading, something you don't get when you're driving."
You can read Gabe's full story on the BetterPoints website.
Sign me up!
Sign up to the BetterPoints app to earn rewards and reap the benefits of leaving the car at home. If you're already signed up, keep being active and get more rewards this month.
More from greener futures
- Helping you to cut the cost of living
- How can you make your home more energy efficient?
- Use our new Energy Advice Tool to help save money
- Helping community projects protect our environment
- Six great cycle routes to get you from A to B
- Help us recycle more of the right things
- Kerbside electric vehicle charging trial launches in Surrey
- Helping us reach our green goal
- A solar panel buying scheme for residents re-launches
- How to avoid a bincident
- Reap rewards for reducing your rubbish
- Putting wildlife and nature first
- Dispose of small DIY waste free of charge
- Surrey connect is a new service launching in five Surrey areas
- Make the change, to save the change
- Feel confident on your bike with our new cycle training courses
- Travelling actively and safely around schools
- Do you live or travel through Burpham?
- The River Thames Scheme