Are you caring for someone else's child?
A child is in a private fostering arrangement when they are staying with someone who is not a parent or close relative for 28 days or more.
Common examples of private fostering arrangements include:
- A child sent to live in the UK for education or health reasons, being cared for by a host family.
- A young person who has gone to live with a partner's or friend's family.
- A child living with a carer because their parents' circumstances mean that they are unable to look after him or her.
What should I do if I know a child is in a private fostering arrangement?
Any parent, carer or professional who is aware of a private fostering arrangement has a duty to inform the local authority.
If you are a parent making private fostering arrangements for your child or a carer about to enter into a private fostering agreement, you need to let Surrey Children's Service know in writing at least six weeks before the arrangement begins.
If the arrangement is due to start in less than six weeks or the child is already living with the carer, you need to let Surrey Children's Service know immediately.
What happens next?
Once Surrey Children's Service has been informed of a private fostering arrangement, a representative will carry out some essential steps to make sure that the child or young person is safe, well cared for and happy.
Where can I learn more about private fostering?
To learn more about private fostering, and the process for informing Surrey Children's Service about a private fostering arrangement, take a look at the Private Fostering webpage today.
Get in touch today
For more information, or if you need to inform us about a private fostering arrangement, please contact us today on 0300 470 9100 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or email: email@example.com
More from families and young people
- Putting Surrey culture on the map
- Together we can give children a childhood
- Enjoy Surrey’s colourful countryside this autumn
- Primary school admissions are now open
- On the Map Culture Chat with Dapper and Suave
- Club4’s winter holiday programme is open for registration
- On the Map Culture Chat with Yvonne Arnaud Theatre
- Christmas shopping with a twist
- Do something for you with Surrey Adult Learning
- Free maths courses now available in Surrey