Look after yourself and others as the temperature drops
Although most people in Surrey manage the winter season well, it's always a good idea to be prepared for adverse weather and the challenges the season can bring.
One of the best ways to keep healthy during winter is to stay warm. Respiratory diseases, such as asthma, are made much worse living in a cold home, and being cold can raise the risk of increased blood pressure, heart attacks and strokes. There are many things you can do to help:
- Keep active when you are indoors - try not to sit still for more than an hour, keeping your body moving will keep you warm.
- Look after yourself - food is a vital source or energy, which helps keep the body warm.
- Look after your mental wellbeing - if you are feeling low, see ways you can improve your mental wellbeing through self-help methods.
- Look out for others - remember that some people, like older neighbours, friends and family members, may need a bit of extra help and care over the winter period. Check on them when you can.
- Stock your medicine cabinet up for winter - your pharmacist can advise you on which medicines you should have, to help you get you and your family through the winter season. Most winter illnesses cannot be treated by antibiotics.
To help you get through winter there is support available. Health and welfare support hub has information on financial support and visit Healthy Surrey to find out more on how to stay safe and well this winter.
Information and advice
- Vaccinations Getting your flu and COVID-19 vaccines if eligible, are two of the most important things you can do to keep yourself and others around you safe this winter.
- Staying safe and well this winter Pharmacy advice if you are feeling unwell, don't wait, go to your nearest pharmacy.
- NHS 111 Think you need medical help right now? NHS 111 is available on the phone and online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Staying safe and well this winter Preventing spread of winter bugs Bugs such as cold and flu viruses are easily spread to others, find out how to prevent infection.
- Warm Welcomes Come inside, warm up, enjoy a free hot drink and receive energy advice and more.
- Staying safe and well this winter Be prepared Surrey County Council have information on what to do to prepare for severe weather or an emergency and specific winter advice.
- The Met Office website provides weather forecasts, including severe weather warnings, to keep you prepared for all weather during the winter period.
- Help for Households - check out the government support available and energy saving tips
More from health and wellbeing
- Celebrating 2 years of Period Dignity in Surrey
- Message in a Bottle Scheme
- Free community first aid training sessions
- Mental Health Resources
- Surrey launches new online Home Equipment Finder
- Are you concerned that your child is above a healthy weight?
- Free flu jabs for Surrey carers
- Has gambling got a grip on you?
- Connect to Support Surrey
- Healthy new you
- Surrey’s care workforce celebrated at awards
- Plan ahead for the future
- HIV testing week
- Are you a carer?
- World Sleep Day 2024