Free period products in Surrey Libraries
Menstrual Health Day on 28 May marked two years since Surrey County Council proudly launched a ground-breaking initiative with charity Binti International, to provide free period products in selected locations across Surrey and be the first county council in the UK to start eradicating period stigma.
To celebrate the upcoming milestone, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Communities and Community Safety Denise Turner-Stewart, Deputy Cabinet Member for Levelling Up Rebecca Paul, and SFRS Chief of Staff Bernie Beckett all visited Staines Library alongside our new period pad donation box.
Free period products have never been more important than now due to the cost-of-living crisis. We have estimated that the service has been used more than 20,000 times over the past year alone.
Where can I collect free period products?
You can collect free period products in 40 Libraries across Surrey. You can find out where your nearest location is by visiting our Period Dignity webpage.
Each building will have one donation box and collection trays in toilets, as well as posters signposting you to where you can find free period products. Please take what you need, you don't need to ask.
If you are unsure where to find the free period products, ask our Period Dignity Champions for help. The champions are dedicated members of staff whose role it is to restock the collection trays and help you with any questions you might have.
Where and how can I donate period products?
Anyone can donate tampons and pads to the donation boxes– the more donations the better! All you have to do is go to your local participating library and put your donation in the donation box. Look out for the Period Dignity displays in libraries like the ones in Guildford Library and Weybridge library as shown below.
You can donate products at 40 of our locations across Surrey, to learn more and find a location near you visit our Period Dignity webpage.
When donating, please be aware that we only accept individually wrapped period products.
More from health and wellbeing
- Have you registered your Defibrillator?
- Message in a Bottle Scheme
- Free community first aid training sessions
- Mental Health Resources
- Surrey launches new online Home Equipment Finder
- Seven healthy habits which can reduce your risk of dementia
- Vaping what you should know
- Annual Health check for people with learning difficulties
- Three new Surrey sites reserved for extra care housing
- Your sexual health matters, at any age
- Are you concerned that your child is above a healthy weight?
- Free flu jabs for Surrey carers
- Make a care plan today
- Has gambling got a grip on you?
- Keep well and warm this Winter