Sign up to a group-buying scheme to save money on energy bills
Investing in renewable energy generation cuts carbon emissions and can save you on your energy bills. Purchasing solar panels can be costly, but with a new community led initiative you can install solar panels for less.
Solar Together is a group buying scheme where you can come together with others in your community to invest in solar panels with optional battery storage and EV charge points. You can be confident you are paying the right price for a high-quality installation from pre-approved installers.
If you already have solar panels, you can also get involved in the scheme to purchase retrofit battery storage to get more from the renewable energy your panels are already generating as well as increase your independence from the grid.
It is free to register and there is no obligation to go ahead with an installation.
In 2021 around 1,400 Surrey residents benefitted from the installation of solar panels and battery storage. Here's what they had to say:
Chris, from Egham (installed 14 panels and battery storage)
"A great way to install solar panels. I am already encouraging friends and family across the country to get their local council to get such a scheme going."
Dominic, from Farnham (installed 10 panels and battery storage)
"I am pleased and excited to have solar panels installed. The installation team were very polite and helpful!"
Colin, from Guildford (installed 11 panels and battery storage)
"Simple and efficient process and I felt confident buying because the Council had oversight."
How is it cheaper buying through the scheme?
Pre-approved UK solar PV suppliers participate in a reverse auction. They are able to offer competitive pricing as the number of panels installed in the area increases, making it possible for suppliers to realise greater efficiencies, which they pass on with lower prices for installations.
Find out more and register your interest on the Solar Together website, until 11 August 2023
More from greener futures
- Tips for saving energy at home
- Tailored information, advice and support to help you
- Helping community projects protect our environment
- Six great cycle routes to get you from A to B
- Help us recycle more of the right things
- Kerbside electric vehicle charging trial launches in Surrey
- Helping us reach our green goal
- How to avoid a bincident
- Reap rewards for reducing your rubbish
- Putting wildlife and nature first
- Dispose of small DIY waste free of charge
- Surrey connect is a new service launching in five Surrey areas
- Make the change, to save the change
- Feel confident on your bike with our new cycle training courses
- Travelling actively and safely around schools
- Get active during TravelWise Week and World Car Free Day
- Do you live or travel through Burpham?
- The River Thames Scheme
- 88% of people who use up their food leftovers save money
- Tackling Ash Dieback in Surrey this Autumn
- Five different types of Fungi in the UK
- Your Fund Surrey supporting green projects
- What are green careers?
- What is the Green Infrastructure of the River Thames Scheme?
- Free grant to help heat your home
- Surrey schools receive grants to reduce the surface water risk on their sites
- A day in the life of a Surrey Highways team
- Meet Banana Grit, Frosty Fred and Ready Spready Go
- M25 junction 10 road closures and heathland restoration
- Who is responsible for the roadworks affecting you?
- Preparing for potholes
- How to prepare for winter
- Getting the right highways help
- Responding to flooding in Surrey
- Who is delivering the River Thames Scheme?