Social workers (Virtual School)


Please read our information on Personal Education Plans (ePEPS) or download our How to Use Welfare Call


'Mainstream schools must give the highest priority to the admission of a looked-after and previously looked after child.'

'Schools cannot refuse to admit a looked-after-child on the basis of challenging behaviour or refer a child for action under the Fair Access Protocol on this basis.'

How to apply for a school place (in or out of county)

Visit the Department of Education website to find the closest suitable school to the child's placement.

Here you can also find all the information you will need on applying for a school or college place for a looked after child.

Placing children out of their chronological year group

Please read our latest guidance and policy for details.

Children repeating a year

Please take a look at the Education Endowment Foundation's project on 'Repeating a Year' for further information on this

In Year admissions

The form for in-year school admissions can be found here: Children in Care Application Form for In Year Admissions

Alternatively the 'Child in Care School Admission form 2020-21' can be found in the Children's Services Procedures Manual, under the Looked after Children - Education, School Trips and Holidays section.

Files available to download