Skip to main content

School admissions policies and reports


Personal information policy

Surrey County Council ('The Council') respects your rights and is committed to ensuring that it protects your details, the information about your dealings with the Council and other information available to the Council ('your information'). In accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Council will use your information, for the purpose of processing your application for a school place, to: (a) deal with your requests and administer its departmental functions, (b) meet its statutory obligations, and (c) prevent and detect fraud. The Council may share your information (but only the minimum amount of information necessary to do the above and only where it is lawful to do so) within the Council and other agencies (including schools, other admission authorities, other councils, central government departments, law enforcement agencies, statutory and judicial bodies, contractors that process data on its behalf and medical advisors). The Council may also use and disclose information that does not identify individuals for research and strategic development purposes. You can find out more about how we manage your data on the privacy notice section of our website.

Educating children out of their chronological year group

If you would like your child to be educated outside their normal age group the admission authority for each school will consider your request according to your child's circumstances and what is in the best interests of your child. You must state clearly why you feel admission to a different year group is in your child's best interest and, if you wish, provide evidence to support this. Parents are advised to contact the local authority at the earliest opportunity for advice. Please also see Surrey's guidance on the education of children out of their chronological year group. (PDF)

Admission of children from overseas

If you and your child live abroad, you may only apply for a school place if your child:

  • holds a full British Citizen passport (but not a British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passport) or
  • is an EEA national (all member states of the European Union together with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) or
  • is a Swiss national (Swiss nationals have the same right to live and work in the United Kingdom as EEA nationals)
  • has a passport which has been endorsed to show that they have the right of abode in the UK.

If you have a property in the UK you should apply to the local authority for that address. If you do not have a UK property you should apply to the local authority where your preferred school is situated. You must apply by the deadline and provide information about where you are living and when you intend to return. We will initially consider the application based on your child's address abroad and any subsequent change will be considered in line with our change of address policy. For more information see the advice on our admissions pages.

For other children without automatic right of entry to the UK, an application can only be made once the child is in the country.

For more information please read our: Guidance on admission of children overseas (PDF).

Admission of children in care

Children in care receive top priority for a school place. If an in year admission is needed, we will arrange a place at the school most appropriate to the child's needs, in line with our Protocol for the processing of in year admissions for children in care (PDF).

Fair access protocol

Our Fair Access Protocol for primary schools (PDF) and secondary schools (PDF) ensure that, outside the normal admissions round, unplaced children are offered a place at a suitable school as quickly as possible and that all schools in Surrey admit their fair share of children with challenging behaviour, whether or not the school is oversubscribed. Applicants are asked to answer the questions on fair access admissions honestly and accurately to ensure that qualifying children can be offered a place at a suitable school quickly.

Address of convenience

We will investigate any applications where there is doubt about the address being given. Use of false information may lead us to withdraw an offer of a place, even after a child has started at a school. More information on how we will investigate applications is available in our Address of Convenience Assessment Protocol (PDF) and if you wish to make a referral please use the Address of Convenience Referral Form (PDF).


Local authority annual reports

We are required to submit an annual report to the schools adjudicator by 30 June each year on matters connected with school admissions. The School Admissions Code stipulates what information must be included in the report.

School Admission Forum

Forum meetings

Documents for recent Admissions Forum meetings including notices, agendas, minutes and press releases are available below:

Summer Term 2019 - 3 May 2019

Autumn Term 2018 - 28 September 2018

Summer Term 2018 - 15 June 2018