LIFE (Leaping into Future Education and Employment) is an alternative learning provision for 16 to 19-year-olds, based in Frimley Green, Surrey.
We provide support to students with Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs. Most students at LIFE have an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP).
What does LIFE offer?
The programme introduces students to a variety of new opportunities and experiences. They will experience unique challenges in safe and controlled environments.
Examples of these opportunities include:
- Formal education such as Functional Skills in Maths and English
- Accreditation including Laser Progression qualification (Entry 3 to Level 2 Award, Certificate or Diploma)
- Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze)
- Life skills such as travel training, preparation for work, working as a team, communication and interaction, independent living skills etc.
- Outdoor and fitness activities
- Arts and cooking workshops
- Cultural visits, trips, and potential residential opportunities
- Work experience placements
We encourage students to become more independent in their academic learning as well as their life skills. We support students to overcome barriers as they progress into employment, education, and training.
We recognise that students need to make plans for their future as early as possible and for some students they have clear destinations. Supporting students to the next steps is embedded throughout LIFE and includes college visits, creating a CV, work experiences, supporting completion of applications, and preparing for an interview.
When does LIFE run?
LIFE's term dates are the same as for Surrey County Council schools.
LIFE is a full time three-day per week programme. Our days run from 10am to 3.30pm.
Lessons are 50-minutes long and there are regular breaks.
How to get a place at LIFE
Speak to your school, organisation or SEND case officer about being referred to LIFE. Referrals require a current Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) or an identified SEND need.
After a referral is made, if you are appropriate for LIFE we will offer you an interview Once that is complete and funding is agreed, we will arrange a home visit and then offer you a place.
Find out more
For further information, please contact LIFE@surreycc.gov.uk