How to wear and remove a face covering
Here is a quick reminder from the World Health Organisation (WHO) who have produced a short, informative video demonstrating How to wear a fabric mask safely.
During the Summer Term 2021, face coverings should be worn by all when moving around the Centre, in corridors and communal areas, in classrooms when individuals aren't seated or stationary in their designated area, except where exemptions apply.
We are currently unsure what the government guidance will be around the wearing of face coverings when we return for the Autumn Term 2021, however, as soon as more information is known, this will be shared with our staff and learners.
Face coverings do not need to be worn when outdoors at the centre.
This does not apply in situations where wearing a face covering would impact on the ability to take part in exercise (for example, during an exercise class).
As our dance and stay active classes require greater cardio-vascular exertion, learners are not required to wear a face covering during these classes within the classroom, however, you can still choose to if you wish.
Learners attending Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi and Otago courses will require a face covering in the classroom.
Face visors or shields should not be worn as an alternative to face coverings.
A face covering should:
- Cover your nose and mouth while allowing you to breathe comfortably.
- Fit comfortably but securely against the side of the face.
- Be secured to the head with ties or ear loops.
When wearing a face covering you should:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before putting a face covering on.
- Avoid wearing on your neck or forehead.
- Avoid touching the part of the face covering in contact with your mouth and nose, as it could be contaminated with the virus.
- Change the face covering if it becomes damp or if you've touched it.
- Staff and learners may consider bringing a spare face covering to wear if their face covering becomes damp during the day.
- Avoid taking it off and putting it back on a lot in quick succession.
When removing a face covering:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser before removing.
- Do not touch the front of your face covering during use or when removing it.
- If single use, dispose of it carefully in a 'black bag' waste bin and do not recycle.
- Place reusable face coverings in a plastic bag you can take home with you.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser once removed.