Scaffolding and hoarding on the road

Page contents

Do I require a licence to erect scaffolding and hoarding

A scaffolding and hoarding licence is required for any scaffold or hoarding that is erected or encroaches on the public highway.

Surrey County Council has agreements with Epsom and Ewell Borough Council (for Epsom Market Place only) and Woking Borough Council (for Woking town centre only) for building materials licences to be issued by them. Please contact the relevant Borough Council if you wish to make an application in either of these specific areas.

What documentation is required?

Please provide all the following information along with your application:

  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £10 million in respect of any one incident
  • Confirmation of how many metres of footway will be available for pedestrian use
  • A traffic management plan (required where 1.2 metre of footway cannot be maintained)
  • A fully dimensioned site plan, showing the location and where the scaffolding/hoarding will be in relation the building

How do I apply for a licence?

To apply for a new or extended licence, please use our online form and pay the fee.

Apply for a scaffolding or hoarding licence

Apply to extend a scaffolding or hoarding licence

Please send us your application at least seven days before the date on which you wish to erect the scaffolding or hoarding.

What are the terms and conditions?

Please see our terms and conditions for putting scaffolding and hoarding on the road page.

How much does the licence cost?

The cost of the licence is £162 per 28 day period. The renewal fee of a scaffolding licence is also £162.

In some cases, extra charges may apply if;

  • our contractors are called out to light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.
  • a bus stop suspension is required
  • any other additional traffic management is required (such as a road closure or temporary traffic lights)

Important: We process applications within five days. However, your application will be delayed and possibly rejected if you do not pay the appropriate amount of the fee and submit all of the required documents.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries or concerns, please contact us online or by telephone.

In this section