We are updating our terms and conditions. From 1 April 2019, all applicants will need to provide evidence of Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £10 million, increased from £5 million currently.
- Do I require a licence to erect scaffolding and hoarding?
- What documentation is required?
- How do I apply for a licence?
- What are the terms and conditions?
- How much does the licence cost?
- What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
Do I require a licence to erect scaffolding and hoarding
A scaffolding and hoarding licence is required for any scaffold or hoarding that is erected or encroaches on the public highway.
What documentation is required?
Please provide all the following information along with your application:
- A copy of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £5 million in respect of any one incident
- Confirmation of how many metres of footway will be available for pedestrian use
- A traffic management plan (required where 1.2 metre of footway cannot be maintained)
- A fully dimensioned site plan, showing the location and where the scaffolding/hoarding will be in relation the building
How do I apply for a licence?
To apply for a new or extended licence, please use our online form and pay the fee. (Please note: The application form linked below, on Gov.uk, is titled 'Application for a permit to occupy the road in connection with building work', as it is used for other types of licences as well but you will be able to specify the type)
Please send us your application at least seven days before the date on which you wish to erect the scaffolding or hoarding.
What are the terms and conditions?
Please see our terms and conditions for putting scaffolding and hoarding on the road page.
How much does the licence cost?
The cost of the licence is £110 per 28 day period. The renewal fee of a scaffolding licence is also £110.
If our contractors are called out to light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.
Important: We process applications within five days. However, your application will be delayed and possibly rejected if you do not pay the appropriate amount of the fee and submit all of the required documents.
What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
If you have queries or concerns, please contact us online or by telephone.