Coronavirus: postal applications for blue badges
The blue badge team are primarily working remotely although they can deal with postal applications the best way to apply is to do it online. If you are unable to do this yourself you can ask a trusted friend or relative to apply on your behalf.
Your Blue Badge application
- A Blue Badge is normally valid for three years and costs £10 When the badge is up for renewal you must reapply, this is a requirement for the Department for Transport. (You should not pay any other charges there is only a charge of £10 for a blue badge payable if your application is successful).
- The blue badge process is currently taking around six to eight weeks for online applications. Please see above for information about postal applications. (this does not include any additional weeks if an expert or walking assessment is required). We will let you know if you need to provide any additional information or if an independent assessment is required.
- You can apply for yourself or you can ask someone you trust to apply on your behalf. You can also apply if you represent an organisation caring for people who already hold blue badges.
- The badge holder can use their blue badge in any vehicle, whether they are the driver or a passenger.
- It can be used throughout Europe.
- You will receive your badge faster if you apply online.
Your Blue Badge is clearly printed with an expiry date, you should apply to renew it at least eight weeks before your badge is due to expire.
It is therefore important to tell us if any of your details have changed such as: your name, address, phone, email etc. Please include your Blue Badge reference number and expiry date with any correspondence.
If your badge has expired or if it is no longer required, please cut it up and dispose of it.
Changes to the blue badge eligibility criteria
The criteria for a blue badge changed in 2019 and applicants can apply under the hidden disability "non-visible" criteria this if for people who suffer very considerable psychological distress and therefore struggle going from a vehicle to their destination. You can select this option when you apply online. You can find further information about this part of the criteria by going to Are you eligible for a blue badge.
Why apply online
Currently due to the coronavirus the Blue Badge team are working remotely and will not have access to paper applications. Therefore we are encouraging all applicants whether renewing a badge or applying for a new badge to do it online. If you are unable to do this yourself you can ask a trusted friend or relative can apply on your behalf.
By applying online you can:
- Immediately check if you are eligible.
- Upload your DLA or PIP Blue Badge evidence making your application simpler and quicker.
- Upload your photograph and documents, if you are unable to upload them you can send them separately by email. (Please do not send them by post as currently we have no way to access the post).
- Automatically be given a reference number so you can start an application and return to it later you can also track the progress of your application.
- When you apply online you can pay online using a debit or credit card, the payment is refunded if your application is unsuccessful.
We will contact you if you need a walking or expert assessment, or if your application was not successful.
If you are unable to apply online, you can apply for a Blue Badge by post.
If you need to contact us, please provide us with your name and address and if appropriate your Blue Badge reference number.