Welcome to the Guildford Library of Things. Borrow, don't buy!
The Guildford Library of Things is a partnership between Surrey Library Service and Zero Carbon Guildford, and houses a small but useful collection of tools and other items which can be borrowed by library members. It includes a sewing machine, power washer, spot carpet cleaner, drill (and three collections of drill bits), gardening tools and DIY tools, amongst other items.
How to borrow items
In order to borrow items, you need to be over 18 and a library member. If you are not currently a library member, you can join for free:
- If you have an email address and live in Surrey, you can join online in minutes.
- If you work or study in Surrey you will need to visit the library and bring with you, one piece of identification with your name and address on.
You will also need to complete and sign a Borrower Agreement on your first visit and agree to the terms and conditions.
You can reserve items in advance by finding the item you want on the library catalogue and reserving it just like a book. You'll receive an automated message saying when it is available to be collected, and you can pick it up during Guildford library opening hours.
There is no charge for borrowing items.
Items in the collection
Items in the collection include:
- Happy land. Playmat with toy shops and houses and citizens included
- Activity box. A wooden-based box full of games and puzzles. For ages 1-3
- Jumperoo. A portable play-station for infants to sit in and play
- Playnest. An inflatable play-station for toddlers.
- Toy dog. A simple pull and play with plastic dog.
- Xylophone. A simple, easy to use Xylophone for toddlers.
- Toy station. Interactive toy station with sounds, multiple games, light and easy to carry, already assembled
- Spirit level
- Pressure washer
- Pipe and cable detector
- Rubber mallet
- Laser distance meter (up to 40 metres)
- Socket and screwdriver set
- Foot pump
- Cordless combi drill
- Multi functional table. Suitable for picnics, parties, decorating and car boot sales.
- Heavy duty tile cutter
- Step ladder
- Long handled secateurs
- Garden leaf rake
- Bulb planter (select the Guildford library of things option)
- Pop-up tent (small)
- 350/14" toolbox saw
- Pipe and cable detector
- Photo light box
- Sewing machine
Selecting the item from the above list, this will take you to the catalogue where you can reserve your item. Remember you need to login with your library card and Pin number before you can reserve an item. You will receive an automated message saying when it is available to be collected, and you can pick it up during Guildford library opening hours.
We will be adding more items as we develop the Guildford Library of Things.
If you have items to donate, please contact the library service.
Terms and conditions
- You have to be a member of Surrey Library Service to join the Library of Things at Guildford Library ("the LOT").
- Members must present a valid and current membership card for Surrey Library Service at the time of joining the LOT.
- In order to join the LOT and prior to borrowing any Items, all members must complete a Borrower Agreement form and sign it to show they have read and understood it.
- Members must be age of eighteen (18) years old or over to borrow Items from the LOT. Members must be able to provide proof of age upon request by the LOT.
- All Items are to be returned clean and in good working order.
- The LOT will assess the condition of all Items issued to a member upon their return to the LOT.
- If the LOT following the assessment considers the Item to be damaged, unclean, defective and/or unsafe for further use as a result of the member's incorrect, negligent, mishandling or mistreatment of the Item, the LOT reserves the right to issue a restoration fine to the member.
- All Items borrowed are to be returned to Guildford Library on their due date and during open hours only.
- Items are borrowed for one week only.
- The LOT reserves the right to make an exception to this one week borrowing policy where Items are required for large, community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
- Members may renew their loan of each Item if no other member has reserved the Item.
- The LOT reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand.
- Members will not specifically be charged for borrowing any Item, but will be advised if there is a suggested donation for the Items that they are borrowing.
- Items may be reserved via the library catalogue. Reserved Items will only be held for one week. All reservations must be confirmed by the LOT to be effective.
- The LOT reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
- By taking possession of any Item, the Member is certifying they are experienced and capable of using that Item in a safe and proper manner.
- The member shall use, transport, clean and store the Item in accordance with any manufacture instructions and/or any instructions issued by the LOT and/or standard and reasonable practices.
- The member shall not use, operate or transport the Item under the influence of alcohol, drugs and/or any prescribed medication that impairs their functioning.
- The member shall provide and ensure they utilise/wear any protective equipment and/or personal protective clothing (including eye protection) necessary and/or recommended when using the Item.
- Only the member borrowing the Item(s) is authorised to use the LOT Item(s).
- The member shall not permit the use of Lot Items issued to him or her by any other person.
- The member agrees that if any borrowed Item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the Item and notify the LOT of the issue on return, if not earlier.
- The member agrees that the LOT is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed Items.
- The LOT shall not be liable to the member or any other persons (as far as permitted by Law) for death, personal injury, property damage, direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage in connection with any Items issued under this Policy caused by the member's:
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation
- negligence and/or misuse of the Item(s)
- breach of any obligation under this Policy
- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Policy, the LOT neither limits or excludes its liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or that of its employees, agents or Sub-Contractors
- breach of any obligation as to title implied by statute
- any other act or omission, liability for which may not be limited under Law.
- If an Item is returned late, the member will be responsible for any late fee the LOT may charge.
- Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the Item plus an administrative fee per Item.
- Any Late fees, fines and/or replacement charges incurred by a member must be paid in full before borrowing additional items from the LOT and Surrey Council Libraries.
- The LOT may replace severely overdue Items, and reserves the right to hold the member responsible for the full replacement cost and an administrative fee.
- Any restoration fine may be to the amount equal to the full replacement cost of the item and include an administrative fee.
- The LOT reserves the right to use appropriate steps, to retrieve overdue Items, the cost to replace Items, unpaid fines and/or fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action against a member and charge the member with the cost of any such action.
- The LOT also reserves the right to waive late fees, fine and/or any other charges in particular circumstances.