Adult social care complaints

Why you should tell us what you think

Your views are important to us. We want you to tell us what we can do better to help us improve our services.

Making a complaint

We will always aim to deliver the best possible service but sometimes things go wrong or we may fail to meet your expectations. Making a complaint does not mean that you will receive less help from us in future or that your complaint will cause difficulties for you. We can learn a lot from complaints so we encourage all of your feedback.

Who should you contact?

Contact the person or team that delivers the service you wish to complain about.

Fill in our online customer complaint form;

Adult Social Care Complaint Form

or contact the Adult Social Care Customer Relations Team at:

  • Address: Adult Social Care Customer Relations Team, Surrey County Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey GU2 4BB
  • Email:
  • Tel: 01483 518300

For any other queries please call the Adult Social Care Information and Advice Line on: 0300 200 1005.

Who can complain?

Anyone who has received a service; or is currently receiving a service or seeking a service from us. You can complain either on your own or with help from someone else such as a friend, a relative or someone who can speak on your behalf, such as an advocate. However, we may need to confirm your agreement to another person speaking for you.

Please note however, that if the service you receive is one that you bought with your own funds or with a Direct Payment, then you must complain to the service provider directly. The service provider will have their own complaints procedure and the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman or Care Quality Commission may also be able to help you.

What happens next?

When you contact us with your complaint, we will try to sort out the problem quickly to resolve the matter.

If the complaint cannot be addressed quickly, we will register and acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days from the date it is received. We may contact you to discuss your concerns further and agree a plan of investigation. You should receive a response to your complaint within 20 working days from when we receive your complaint.

The person handling your complaint will carry out an investigation into your concerns and respond to you directly (or through your advocate/representative if you prefer). For complex complaints, we may need more time to investigate and respond to you. If this is the case, we will keep you informed.

If you are not satisfied with the complaint response, you can contact the person leading on the complaint to discuss your concerns further. Alternatively, you can contact the Customer Relations Team for advice and assistance.

Who can I contact for further help and advice?

If you are still unhappy and we are not able to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction, you can ask the Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman to review the way we have dealt with your complaint. Their contact details are:

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman Tel: 0300 061 0614

Other helpful contacts

Files available to download