Rethink your journey to be healthier, happier and save money
Spring is here and is a brilliant time to rethink how you get from A to B. There are many benefits that swapping the car for a few journeys can bring to you and your family.
Happy and healthy
Whatever your age there is strong scientific evidence that being physically active can help you lead a healthier and happier life. The easiest way to get moving is to make it part of everyday life, like walking or cycling instead of using the car.
It's recommended that we try to be active every day and do at least 150 minutes of exercise a week which is just over 20 minutes a day. Are there any regular car journeys that you could make this spring by walking or cycling instead?
We all know that the cost of living is rising and owning and running a car can be expensive, but just how much is your car costing you? Fuel typically accounts for over 40% of our annual driving costs and the average family living in the South East spends over £2,500 a year on motoring costs (excluding actually buying a car).
Swapping out a regular car journey to walk or cycle for 20 minutes instead, could make a real difference to your finances over the course of a year. You can use Money Helper's Car Costs Calculator to find out how much your car costs to run over the year.
Time and enjoyment
It isn't always going to be quicker to walk or cycle a journey than it is to jump in the car, however incorporating active travel into your day means you might not need to find time in your already busy day to go for a run, head to the gym or do a home workout.
Walking and cycling with friends and loved ones can be a fantastic way to get to know your area and is a great bonding opportunity, so is an ideal time to talk to the kids about their day at school.
What you can do
Try swapping the car for walking or cycling 20-minute journeys. If you sign up to the BetterPoints app, you can get rewarded for walking, cycling or using public transport instead of using the car. For every sustainable journey you make, you'll earn points which can be redeemed for vouchers to spend or can be donated to a charity.
May is National Walking Month, so we have teamed up with BetterPoints to make added rewards and prizes available throughout the month in return for swapping your car journeys for steps.
Get inspired and visit our cycling and walking web page for information on walking and cycling routes, nearby facilities and ideas for active days out.
More from greener futures
- Helping you to cut the cost of living
- How can you make your home more energy efficient?
- Growing Surrey’s grass verges wild for bees and flowers
- 57,500 more trees to be planted
- What is Ash dieback?
- Tackling local flooding and increasing biodiversity
- “I finally took the plunge and sold my car”
- Use our new Energy Advice Tool to help save money
- Seven tips to save £70 a month
- Enhancing and protecting wildlife in Surrey
- Largest on-street EV charge point contract in the UK announced in Surrey
- Get involved in Walk to School Week
- Benefits of growing wildflowers
- Door-to-door bus service expands in Mole Valley
- Helping community projects protect our environment
- Free grant to help heat your home
- Six great cycle routes to get you from A to B