White Ribbon Day
'16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence' is an annual international campaign that starts on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, also marked as White Ribbon Day.
This year's White Ribbon Day falls on the same week the FIFA men's World Cup launches. Past studies have shown that incidents of domestic abuse reported to police were 38% higher on days when England lost a World Cup match than on days when England weren't playing and 26% higher when the team won or drew.
There has never been a better time for us to come together and start playing as a team to end violence against women and girls.
Anyone can show their commitment by making the White Ribbon Promise, never to use, excuse or remain silent about men's violence against women.
Surrey County Council holds White Ribbon accredited status, recognising their work to tackle domestic abuse. SCC will be furthering their commitment by launching Surrey's first Multi-Agency Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy during the 16 days of activism and a new social media campaign raising awareness of coercive and controlling behaviour.
Surrey's domestic abuse outreach services provide support to any victim of domestic abuse regardless of age, gender, sexuality or race. These community-based services offer emotional and practical support, as well as information, advice and safety planning.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, support is available. Call the Surrey Domestic Abuse Helpline provided by Your Sanctuary on 01483 776822 or visit the Surrey Against Domestic Abuse web page.
Always dial 999 in an emergency.
More from community matters
- Your Surrey COVID Heroes E-book of Thanks
- Travel schemes for Ukrainian evacuees
- New On Demand Bus Service in Mole Valley
- What support is available for Ukrainian nationals ?
- Social Value Marketplace connecting organisations and individuals
- Help us showcase Surrey's beautiful landscape
- When Queen Elizabeth II came to Surrey
- Surrey launches Cost of Living campaign
- Community Foundation Surrey Winter Poverty campaign
- Warm Hubs launched across Surrey
- Come Home Safe this World Cup
- Celebrating cultural heritage in Surrey
- It’s Disability History Month