"Always get help, you are not alone"
Are you looking after a relative or friend? Is the care you provide unpaid? If so, support is here for you in Surrey.
Hazel, pictured above, is a lawyer and a carer for her daughter Emily, who has learning disabilities. Hazel's advice to other carers is "Always get help, you are not alone. If anything happens to you, then who will look after the person you are caring for? Talk to people, access Action for Carers".
Hubs for carers are now up and running across the county. If you're a carer in Surrey, please feel free to drop in. You'll find a friendly welcome and support on all aspects of caring, practical, emotional and financial and be able to enjoy a cuppa and a chat.
The hubs are open one day every week in Camberley, Guildford, Horley, Knaphill and Leatherhead. There are also a number of 'satellite' hubs which are open two days each month at other locations across the county.
Visit the Action for Carers Surrey web page to find full details of the hubs.
Carers are able to access up to 35 hours of breaks to recharge their batteries, which they're able to use flexibly, with the potential for further support if needed.
Carers who might need a greater level of support on a longer-term basis will be given a carer's assessment to see what might help make their lives easier – and they'll continue to be supported until that's been done and future arrangements are agreed.
To find out more about care breaks visit the discussing your needs as a carer web page.
Find out more about how support for carers is being enhanced following feedback and input from carers.
Information about the support available to carers, including young carers, can be found on the Adult Social Care and Support web page.
More from community matters
- Your Surrey COVID Heroes E-book of Thanks
- Travel schemes for Ukrainian evacuees
- Ukrainian Refugee Bike Scheme
- New On Demand Bus Service in Mole Valley
- Looking after our veterans
- Queen's Baton Relay route in England announced
- Visiting a Community Recycling Centre?
- What support is available for Ukrainian nationals ?
- Do you know where to turn?
- Join Surrey’s Biggest Family
- Your Fund Surrey £100m fund
- Social Value Marketplace connecting organisations and individuals
- Make it happen Surrey
- Would you like your event listed in Surrey Matters?
- ‘No one left behind’ ambition guides Surrey’s 2022/23 budget
- Celebrating STARS in Surrey
- Putting Surrey culture on the map
- Sign up to a Priority Services Register for when you need it the most
- Help stop the stigma around addiction and mental health