Foster carers change lives. Although it can sometimes be a demanding role, fostering is very rewarding. As a foster carer, you will play an important part in helping vulnerable children develop and grow in confidence. You will make a real difference to their future.
Fostering also gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge. You will have access to our extensive training suite which will help you enhance your skills as a foster carer. You may even learn things that will help you outside of your fostering role.
By becoming one of our foster carers you'll be joining Surrey's biggest family. You'll be a part of a growing support network that aims to make the lives of local children and young people better.
You'll have your own supervising social worker who will visit you every six weeks, more often if needed. You will also meet lots of other foster carers who will become a key support network for you.
As a foster carer for Surrey County Council you will benefit from:
- An experienced foster carer 'buddy'
- A custom training package with over 200 training courses to choose from
- One-to-one support from your own supervising social worker
- The chance to build good support networks with hundreds of other foster carers living in the Surrey area
- Regular social events
- A range of virtual and in-person support groups, including one for foster carers' children during school holidays
- Access to therapeutic support specifically for foster carers experiencing personal challenges as a result of the fostering role
- Competitive allowances paid for each child in your care
- 24-hour emergency support
- Access to personalised support for your foster family from one of our fostering support workers
- Fostering Network membership
- Support, advice and advocacy from the Surrey Foster Care Association
- National Association of Therapeutic Parents (NATP) membership
- Taking part in the Mockingbird Family Model™
- Opportunities to gain accredited qualifications
- The reward of making a difference to a child's life
John Lewis shared their eagerly-awaited festive advert in December 2022 and it didn't disappoint. The theme was fostering and it put a vital spotlight on the need for foster carers. Watch this video to hear from a care-experienced person about their views on the advert and the importance of fostering.