Skip to main content

Council tax

Council tax is a local tax, set by councils to help pay for local services. It is based on the value of a property and applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or houseboats, whether owned or rented.

A typical Council Tax Bill for a Surrey household will consist of County Council, Borough/District, Police and possibly Parish elements. The Borough and District Councils are responsible for collecting the Council Tax on behalf of the County Council, Police and Parishes.

Council tax payments and enquiries

Council tax bills in Surrey are paid to the district and borough council. Select your borough or district to go to information on payments. Information is also available on council tax benefits.

Council tax benefits

Council tax benefit was abolished and replaced by council tax localisation from April 2013. Each borough and district council is responsible for running its own Local Council Tax Scheme

Your local authority will be able to advise you about its local scheme.

People can still get additional non means-tested help with council tax discounts, exemptions and the disability reduction scheme.

Council tax and adult social care funding

In November 2015 the Chancellor in his combined Comprehensive Spending Review and Autumn Statement gave local authorities with social care responsibilities the ability to raise an extra amount to fund adult social care. The extra precept can be levied from 2016/17 up to and including 2019/20. The Secretary of State has made the following statement to explain the increases:

"The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has made an offer to adult social care authorities. Adult social care authorities are local authorities which have functions under Part 1 of the Care Act 2014, (namely, county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly).

The Provisional Settlement confirmed the council tax referendum limit remains at 2% and local authorities can raise an additional 1% under the Adult Social Care precept flexibility. This means a maximum of 3% in 2017/18 and 2018/19 and limited to a total rise of 6% over the three years 2017/18 to 2019/20. In other words, instead of 2%, 2%, 2% rises, a local authority can opt for 3%, 3%, 0%. It is expected the Government will require local authorities opting to do this to provide assurance that this funding will be used for adult social care services.

In relation to the financial year beginning in 2017 the Secretary of State has determined (and the House of Commons has approved) a referendum principle of 5% (comprising 3% for expenditure on adult social care and 2% for other expenditure), for adult social care authorities. These authorities may therefore set council tax up to this percentage in 2017 without holding a referendum."

Please find below more information on council tax in Surrey.