The closing date for on time applications to secondary schools was 31 October 2016. Please refer to the late application section.
- Overview of the application process
- When to apply for a place at a secondary school
- Applying for a place in year (outside of the usual admission period)
- Applying to University Technical Colleges (UTCs) at Year 10
Overview of the application process
- Read our guidance on applying for a school place. This explains how to apply and will answer most questions about the application process.
- Decide which schools to apply for. You can apply for up to six schools. You may also want to check if your child will be eligible for free home to school transport at your chosen schools.
- You can apply from 1 September 2016. Complete and submit the application online or on a paper form by 31 October 2016. However, we suggest you submit your application by 21 October 2016 which is the Friday before the half term holiday.
- If you are applying for a school that also asks for a supplementary information form, you must complete and return this to the school by their closing date. You can check our directory of Surrey schools to find out if a school asks for a supplementary information form and download a copy of the form.
- If you are applying under exceptional medical or social criteria, send your supporting documents to us by 31 October 2016.
- The admission authority for each school will rank applications according to its criteria and we then assess the highest offer that can be made based on the order of preferences on your application form.
- We notify you of the outcome of your application:
- If you applied online we will send you an email in the evening of 1 March 2017. If you cannot be offered your first preference school we will also send you a letter by first class post.
- If you applied on a paper form we will send you a letter by first class post on 1 March 2017
- You must accept or decline the place by 15 March 2017.
- If you are unhappy with the school place that has been offered you can appeal. You must do this by 29 March 2017.
When to apply for a place at a secondary school
If your child will reach age 11 between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017 they will be due to start secondary school in September 2017.
You will need to apply for a place at a secondary school between 1 September 2016 and 31 October 2016. However, we suggest you submit your application by 21 October 2016 which is the Friday before the half term holiday.
Applying for a place in year (outside the usual admission period)
If your child is already in secondary education and needs to change schools, you will need to make an in year application.
Applying to University Technical Colleges (UTCs) at Year 10
UTCs admit children at Year 10. The application process for applying to a UTC at Year 10 is the same as the process for applying for a place at a secondary school, which is described above. Applications must be submitted online or on a paper form by 31 October 2016.
Currently, there are no UTCs in Surrey but if you live in Surrey and wish to apply for a UTC in another local authority area you should return your application to us.