Skip to main content

Building materials on the road and footpath

Page contents

Do I require a licence to place building material on the highway?

If you wish to place building materials on any part of the highway, footway or carriageway, a licence is required from this Authority. A licence is not normally necessary if materials are placed on private land. All materials must be placed on private land whenever possible.

How do I apply for a licence?

To apply for a new licence, please use our online form and pay the fee:

Apply for a building materials licence ( website)

Apply to extend a building materials licence ( website)

How much does the licence cost?

The cost of the new licence is £110.

Licence extensions cost an additional £110.

If we have to come out and light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.

What documentation is required?

Please provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £10 million, with your application.

What are the terms and conditions?

Please see our terms and conditions for building materials on the road page for the full terms and conditions.

When will a licence be issued and how long is it valid for?

We will issue a licence within five working days, provided that payment and the correct documents have been sent with the application. This applies to both new and extended licence applications.

The licence is valid for 28 days.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries or concerns, please contact us either online or by telephone.

In this section...