Surrey's Historic Environment Record (HER) is maintained by the Historic Environment Planning team at Surrey County Council. It is the most comprehensive record of archaeological sites, finds and historic monuments within the current administrative county.
Formerly called the Sites and Monuments Record (SMR), since 2007 the record has been expanded to include information relating to all aspects of the historic environment. In particular, information about historic buildings and landscape features, such as parks and gardens. Details of excavations and archaeological surveys are frequently added to the record together with environmental information. The archive currently contains over 23,000 records.
Surrey County Council charges contractors and consultants for commercial HER enquiries relating to planning matters. HER enquiries from the general public and academic researchers are not charged unless the enquiry is of a complex nature.
From the 1 April 2019 our charges are as follows:
- Standard Search (five to ten working days) – £100 per hour + VAT.
- Priority Search (two working days) – £140 per hour + VAT.
- PDF Maps in place of Shapefile Data – £27.50 per enquiry + VAT.
- Copies of Aerial Photographs - £22.50 + VAT.
- Scanning of Hardcopy Reports into PDF - £25 per 15 minutes + VAT
- Householder Search Pack - £50 + VAT.
- Photocopying during visits to HER Office - 25p per sheet
For Tandridge Local Validation Requirement search requests and charges, please see consulting the HER for Tandridge District planning requirements.
Confirmation of time required to compile a HER search is sent upon receipt of an enquiry. Invoices are sent out to the HER user at the end of a month following completion of a search request.
A summary of the HER database is available to search online through the Exploring Surrey's Past website. Please note this should not be used for planning enquiries.
In this section...
- How do I consult the Surrey Historic Environment Record?
- How you can help the Historic Environment Record
- Surrey Historic Environment Record - guidelines for users
- What information does the Historic Environment Record contain?
- What is the Historic Environment Record used for?
- Who to contact about the Historic Environment Record
- Consulting the HER for Tandridge District planning requirements