Historic Environment Record coronavirus and office move
The Surrey Historic Environment Record (HER) is able to offer most but not all of its usual search and enquiry services in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation and the refurbishment of its new office base at Quadrant Court, Woking.
HER team members continue to work primarily from home and so may not have easy access to office-based resources (grey literature, published materials and our physical archive). As a result, we may not be able to fulfil enquiries that require such resources. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please note that Surrey County Council offices are currently closed to members of the public, so it is not possible to arrange visits to view HER material or for meetings. Please do not send enquiries or other documents to the HER by post for the same reason.
Surrey's Historic Environment Record (HER) is maintained by the Historic Environment Planning team at Surrey County Council. It is the most comprehensive record of archaeological sites, finds and historic monuments within the current administrative county.
Since 2007 the record has been expanded from its original focus on archaeological sites and monuments to include information relating to all aspects of the historic environment, notably historic buildings and landscape features such as parks and gardens. Details of excavations and archaeological surveys are also added to the record together with environmental information. The archive currently contains over 24,000 records relating to archaeological monuments and historic buildings, and another 16,000 covering pieces of archaeological work undertaken in Surrey.
Surrey County Council charges contractors and consultants for commercial HER enquiries relating to planning matters. HER enquiries from the general public and academic researchers are not charged unless what is required is of a complex nature.
From 1 April 2021 our charges are as follows:
- Priority Search (results within two working days) – £152.25 per hour + VAT.
- Standard Search (results within five to ten working days) – £111.50 per hour + VAT.
- PDF Maps in place of Shapefile Data – £55 per enquiry + VAT.
- Copies of Aerial Photographs – £22.75 + VAT.
- Scanning of Hardcopy Reports into PDF – £25 per 15 minutes + VAT.
- Householder Search Pack – £50 + VAT.
- Photocopying during visits to HER Office – 25p per sheet.
For Tandridge Local Validation Requirement search requests and charges, please see consulting the HER for Tandridge District planning requirements.
Confirmation of time required to compile a HER search is sent upon receipt of an enquiry. Invoices are sent out to the HER user at the end of a month following completion of a search request.
A summary of the HER database is available to search online through the Exploring Surrey's Past website. Please note this should not be used for planning enquiries.
In this section
- How do I consult the Surrey Historic Environment Record?
- How you can help the Historic Environment Record
- Surrey Historic Environment Record - guidelines for users
- What information does the Historic Environment Record contain?
- What is the Historic Environment Record used for?
- Who to contact about the Historic Environment Record
- Consulting the HER for Tandridge District planning requirements