Disclosure and Barring Service (eDBS) - Privacy Notice
- Name of service - Disclosure and Barring Service (eDBS)
- Directorate - Economy, Growth and Commercial
- Date of issue - 1 May 2018
- Review date - 1 May 2019
The reasons why we use your personal data
Purpose / function of the service
This privacy notice applies to the functions of the Disclosure and Barring Service that incorporates/carries out
Electronic Disclosure and Barring Service (eDBS) applications or Paper form DBS application and Basic Disclosures.
DBS applications will be either a DBS check Standard/Enhanced with or without Adults barred list and or Childrens Barred. Enhanced and Standard DBS checks will only be carried out for roles that require them, this is where you have regular access to children and/or vulnerable adults or where you will be working in a specified establishment.
Or a Basic Disclosures via the DBS or Disclosure Scotland. Basic Disclosure electronic applications can be carried out on any position.
What processing of personal data is undertaken by Safer Staffing and Onboarding
Your personal data is collated for the purposes DBS requirements and Home Office guidance in order to carry out our statutory responsibilities under the different legislative frameworks / provide services / establish good business practices etc. In addition, we collect your personal data for the following:
- Service delivery
- Service improvement and planning
- Prevention & detection of crime/fraud
- Statistical analysis and reporting
- Vital Interests
What information do we collect?
- If the position is taking service users in to your own home, a background check is carried out on all persons living at that address.
- Date of Birth
- Email address
- Telephone Numbers
- Right to work
- Basic Disclosure Results
- Disclosure and Barring Service results
- Visa / Work Permit
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Other various ID documents that are required to complete a DBS check
How we are allowed to use your personal data
Legal obligation or public task under various UK legislation including but not limited to:
- Local Government Act
- Localism Act 2011
- The Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Mental Health Act 1983, 2007
- Local Safeguarding Children and Adults Boards Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/90)
- The Localism Act 2011
- The Crime and Disorder Act 1998
- The Welfare Reform Act 2012
- HMRC compliance
- Pensions regulations
- Necessary for contract with the individual
- Necessary for compliance - legal obligation
- Obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement
To process your personal data, we will explain to you what we are asking you to agree to and why. If we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address email@example.com and we will deal with your request.
Who we share your personal data with
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Basic Disclosure Scotland
- Home Office
- UK Visa and Immigration
- Various Local Police Forces
- Surrey County Council HR Teams
- Surrey County Council Managers
- Various Surrey County Council teams
- Atlantic Data
- Schools (if applicable)
- The company that carried out your check that we act as an umbrella customer for.
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
Retention of data
We often keep your information for audit purposes, legal reasons and best practice records management guidelines. There are set periods of time for keeping information which we incorporate where applicable as part of our Records Management Policy and Retention Schedules. This ranges from months for some records to decades for more sensitive records.
Here you can view the privacy notices of our main associates and suppliers
- Disclosure and Barring Service - Standard and Enhanced DBS Checks
- Disclosure and Barring Service - Basic Checks
- Disclosure and Barring Service - Ex Offenders and Employment
- Gov.uk - Overseas Criminal Record Check
- Disclosure Scotland - Basic Checks
- Atlantic Data (Use the Privacy and Security Policy link at the bottom of the page)
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.