Who are the Transition Team and how can they support me?

This page includes information about:

Who are we?

Young person in the middle surrounded by 5 professionals.

The Transition Team are an Adult Social Care Team in Surrey. If you have an Education, Health and Social Care Plan (also known as an EHCP) and have a diagnosed disability (learning, physical, sensory impairment or autism) we may be able to support you in preparing for your adult life.

How can we help?

We can help in two different ways:

Preparing for adulthood

Before you become an adult, the Transition Team can offer advice and guidance to you, your family and other professionals (such as SEND Case Officers, Teachers and Social Workers). Where we know about you, and you are on the pathway, we will take part in your EHCP School Reviews, from year 9.

As you become an adult

As you turn 17, we may be able to offer an Adult Social Care Assessment. This is where a Transition Team worker will meet with you to find out things like:

  • The things and people that are important to you in your life - what you are good at, what you enjoy, how you can be involved in your community (for example meeting friends, enjoying hobbies, having a job).
  • Your practical, everyday skills – for example managing money, travelling, staying safe and washing and dressing.

At the end of the assessment, we will have an idea of what you want to do as an adult along with any support that you may need and any potential for future independence.

We have made a guide that shows how your transition journey (PDF) might look.

How do I let the team know about me?

Woman and man next to a flip board with the numbers 1, 2, and 3 with an arrow guiding.

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (also known as EHCP) and a diagnosis of learning disability, Autism, a physical disability or a hearing or sight impairment, we can accept referrals from:

  • Children's Social Worker
  • SEND Case Officer
  • Children's Occupational Therapist (OT).

They should refer your case to us when you start Year 9.

If you are a young person wanting support, a parent or another professional, please contact one of the above to discuss making a referral.

Whilst the Transition Team are not able to be involved with all young people, we can offer advice to SEND Case Officers and Children's Social Workers about the young people we cannot support.

For more information call the Transition Team on 01276 800270 or email transitionteam@surreycc.gov.uk

Files available to download

Did you find this information helpful?

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.