School transport contracts information and services

Page contents

Drivers and passenger assistants

All drivers and passenger assistants involved in the transportation of children and vulnerable adults, on contracts issued through the Council need to be vetted through the Surrey School Travel and Assessment Team (SSTAT) Identity Badge (AIB) scheme. Only drivers and passenger assistants working for approved SSTAT operators will be accepted to apply for an AIB.

How to become a school transport operator

To be eligible to quote for home to school transport contracts, run by the Surrey School Travel and Assessment Team (SSTAT), all operators must first be registered on SProcNet, our new dynamic purchasing system run by our partners Adam. After registering, operators will be required to complete and pass the Accreditation and Enrolment section.

The SProcNet system is open for new registrations, Accreditations and Enrolments. Please note that if an Enrolment application is failed 3 times, an operator is suspended from attempting again for 6 months.

If you have any questions regarding any part of the registering or Accreditation/Enrolment process, please contact Adam directly on

Driver or passenger assistant application process

All new applicants will need to complete the online booking form to arrange an appointment at Fairmount House, Leatherhead for a visual DBS document check. Please ensure all applicants are aware of the approved documents list as issued by the Disclosure and Barring Service. Only documents on the list will be accepted as forms of identification.

Upon issue of the DBS Enhanced Disclosure the individual can register for the DBS Update Service. From there onwards the individual can apply to renew their TCC Authorised Identity Badge online.

Please note: If any part of the process is failed, or information not provided, the application will not be successful. If you have any doubt about the suitability of an applicant to work with children and vulnerable adults, please refer to the TCC Suitability Guidelines (PDF) for information on how applications are assessed.

Passenger assistant (PA) information for operators

If there is a passenger assistant on the school transport you provide, they must first be cleared through the Surrey School Travel and Assessment Team (SSTAT) authorised accreditation scheme and must wear their SSTAT authorised ID badge when carrying out the role.

We expect PAs to:

  • be particularly vigilant when children leave the vehicle
  • take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of the children when entering or leaving the vehicle. They are not responsible for helping children before they board or after they have left the vehicle. If the vehicle arrives at the school early, children should be kept on the vehicle.
  • report all behaviour problems to the headteacher.
  • keep the child on the vehicle if they are not met and do not normally make their own way home and call the school/Pupil Services for further instructions, at the end of the route. If the Escort does not contact either, they should take the child to the nearest police station as soon as possible and report the situation.

PAs should not:

  • leave the vehicle to collect children. The vehicle may wait three minutes only beyond the planned pick-up time.
  • allow children to be collected from or set down at unauthorised stops. The route must not be altered without prior permission from our Transport Co-ordination centre. The vehicle must keep to scheduled times. Any vehicles running early must wait until the scheduled time to continue to the next point.

In the event of a major incident affecting school transport

If there is a major incident different organisations take on the following responsibilities:

  • Emergency Services - are responsible at the scene of the incident for all aspects.
  • Surrey School Travel and Assessment Team (SSTAT) - is responsible for liaising with the emergency services and the relevant transport operator so that there is a central source of information about the incident. Operators must complete the SSTAT accident/incident report form.
  • The school - is responsible for contacting parents of children involved in the incident, making arrangements to deal with children brought into school from the incident, ensuring with the Local Education Authority and the emergency services that all children on the service are accounted for.
  • Our Contact Centre - is responsible for dealing with telephone enquiries from parents unable to contact the relevant school.

Minibus information for schools

Driving licences

Managers, headteachers and responsible persons must ensure everyone reporting to them and required to drive, hold a valid driving licence, and that this is checked every six months and a record of the audit kept. Visit the national government page on minibus and trailer licensing regulations for UK nationals.

For EU residents, holders of valid licences issued by EU member states may drive in the UK until aged 70 or for 3 years after becoming a resident, whichever is longer. Holders of Community licences with vocational entitlement (Categories C and D) must register their details with DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).

Non-EU staff must have licences valid in their 'home' country and can drive in the UK for 12 months only. After then, to continue driving, they must take a UK Statutory Driving Test (within the 12 months) after first applying for a Provisional Licence. You should encourage drivers to exchange their licence for a UK licence as soon as possible as it is often difficult to interpret the classifications of licences from non-EU countries. Staff in this category may only drive vehicles with 8 seats or less.

All non-UK staff should receive additional vocational training to ensure that they are sufficiently skilled and experienced to drive in the UK.

Minibus driver assessment training

When we insure a minibus, all drivers of it must have had their driving skills formally assessed within the past 4 years. The national recognised driving standard is the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme (MiDAS); after successfully completing it, a driver receives a certificate valid for 4 years. Several organisations provide this training.

For advice contact:


Always check the following with your insurer:

  • your organisation is listed on the Surrey County Council policy
  • the policy is current and has not lapsed
  • new replacements for older vehicles (now disposed of), have been registered
  • any minibus hire includes insurance – or if not you have made your own insurance arrangements
  • your driver(s) hold the right licence(s) to drive the vehicle(s)
  • your driver has enough experience to drive a particular vehicle
  • you know what limitations on the insurance there are if your driver(s) has penalty points.

Permits and vehicle excise licence

A vehicle must display a valid vehicle excise licence at all times.

For each minibus being used a Section 19 minibus permit is required. Each one allows the legal operation of a minibus with more than 8 passenger seats on a non-profit organisation.

Minibus maintenance

Pre-use: Before the minibus is used each day, it should be inspected to make sure all the obvious safety-critical items are in satisfactory and working order. A report book should record each inspection. Any repairs should be done before the vehicle is used.

Nil-defect reporting: There must be a system in place allowing drivers to formally report in writing any defect occurring with the vehicle on each journey. There must also be a system to ensure that these reports can be acted on.

Vehicle maintenance: Your minibus must be regularly inspected and maintained by professional vehicle technicians. A planned maintenance schedule should be drawn up with a contractor.

Check out the national government's useful advice on maintaining vehicle roadworthiness.

Minibus road speed limiter fitment

Minibuses with more than 8 seats will soon have to be fitted with speed limiters, which will restrict the vehicle's road speed to a maximum of 62 mph (100kph), although lower speed limits must still be adhered to. Contact your vehicle dealer for advice.

Visit the national government page to find your nearest approved speed limiter centre.

Contact us

If you are a transport provider and wish to speak with the SSTAT team regarding a specific issue, please use our operator contact form below.

Transport operators form

Files available to download

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.