Road maintenance works are prioritised using a number of criteria including:
- Risk to the public - this is calculated using data such as past insurance claims and the number of small repairs carried out
- Condition of the road - this includes an engineer's assessment
- Road priority - greater priority is given to roads with the greatest usage or need. Road class (A, B, C and D), speed limits and daily traffic are all factors in this. Please see our Inspections Policy (available to download at the bottom of this page) for more detail on how we put roads into a priority order for maintenance purposes. We call this 'Surrey Priority Network' (see pages 2 and 3 of the policy).
The above criteria ensures that the available funding is used on the roads and pavements that are in greatest need of treatment in a fair and consistent manner across the county.
More information about our prioritisation policy and criteria for roads, pavements, structures, drainage and safety barriers can be found in the 'Highway prioritisation policy and criteria' PDF at the bottom of this page.
You can also download a copy of our Asset Management Strategy and Communications Plan at the bottom of this page. Our Strategy identifies which assets (e.g. roads, pavements, bridges) should be the priority for maintenance and investment in the next 15 years.
Our planned and future works
Operation Horizon is the name of our highway maintenance investment programme. Our works are set on an annual basis, and alongside this, we have a list of roads which we are considering for future years.
More information about our current annual programme can be found on the Horizon webpage.
Files available to download
- Highway prioritisation policy and criteria - April 2020 (PDF)
The policy and criteria used by our engineers to prioritise maintenance of roads, pavements and bridges
- Asset management communications plan 2018 (PDF)
Details of how we plan to communicate about our asset management strategy
- Highway Safety Inspection Policy - December 2018 (PDF)
The full Highways Safety Inspections Policy used by our inspectors and engineers
- Highways Asset Strategy - December 2020 (PDF)
Our strategy explains how we manage investment in our highway assets