Using a crane or other equipment or machinery on the road

Page contents

Do you need a licence to place a crane or other machinery on the public highway?

You will need a licence if you are placing a crane (either vehicle mounted or tower), cherry picker or other equipment/machinery on the public highway for any length of time.

Surrey County Council has agreements with Epsom and Ewell Borough Council (for Epsom Market Place only) and Woking Borough Council (for Woking town centre only) for building materials licences to be issued by them. Please contact the relevant Borough Council if you wish to make an application in either of these specific areas.

What are the terms and conditions?

Please see our terms and conditions for cranes and other machinery page for the full terms and conditions.

What documentation is required?

Please provide all the following documentation with your application:

  • a plan showing details of the proposed works
  • a traffic management plan
  • a copy of your Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £10 million

How do you apply for a licence?

To apply for a new licence, please use our online form and pay the fee.

Apply for a crane (or other machinery) licence

Please submit your application at least 14 days before the date you wish to start the work.

How much does the licence cost?

The cost of the licence is £272.

In some cases, extra charges may apply if;

  • our contractors are called out to light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.
  • a bus stop suspension is required
  • any other additional traffic management is required (such as a road closure or temporary traffic lights)

Important: To make sure the application is handled efficiently within ten working days, please ensure the correct licence fee is paid when submitting your application. If the incorrect fee is paid, your application may be rejected and your fee returned to you.

How long does it take to process my application?

We will process your application within ten working days.

However, your application will be delayed and possibly rejected if you do not pay the appropriate fee amount and submit all of the required documents.

If you require any of the following licences to run at the same time as your crane licence, please make allowances for the timescales involved in processing these applications too:

How long is my licence valid for?

The duration of the licence is open to discussion depending upon the nature of the work being undertaken, classification of road and volume of passing pedestrian/ vehicle traffic.

What is a traffic management plan?

Your application must include a suitable scale plan showing the area of the road and/or pavement which you plan to occupy, and details of your proposed system of traffic and/or pedestrian management. This plan must be drafted by a NRSWA (New Roads and Street Works Act, Chapter 8) accredited contractor or company.

The traffic and/or pedestrian management plan should detail the following:

  1. Size of works area, working space and safety zone in the area to be marked off with cones
  2. Positioning of crane on the footway/highway to include width of hazard, sideways and longways clearance
  3. Lead-in and exit tapers
  4. Advance warning signs with the exact working and locations at which they will be sited
  5. Bollard, barrier, lights and/or cone spacing
  6. Stop/go spacing

What if you have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries or concerns, please contact us online or by telephone.

In this section

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.