We aim to deliver services that we can be proud of and that make a positive difference in people's lives. Delivering an excellent standard of customer service matters to us and we always look for ways to improve the way we work. You have told us what is important to you and what makes a good customer experience. This has helped to build our Customer Promise, which sets out the five key things you can expect when you contact us:
- We listen
- We make things happen
- We are open and honest
- We make it easy and accessible
- We build good relationships.
We will make it easy for you to have your say. We will:
- find out what you think of our services and make it easier for you to tell us when you have a problem
- use your feedback to make our services better
- talk to you, so we can find out what matters to you and your community
- value your opinion and respect your confidentiality.
We make things happen
We will make sure we have all that we need to deliver a great service. We will:
- have the right tools and information to answer your questions first time
- make it easier for you to make an application or report an issue
- provide clear information and advice at the right time
- do what we say and on time
- be clear about any next steps, so you know what to expect
- keep you updated.
We will be open and honest
We will be open and honest about how we work and take decisions. We will:
- be open, upfront and explain our decisions
- be clear about what we can and can't do for you
- only collect relevant information from you, store it safely and use it appropriately
- make our policies and standards available to you and tell you how you can have your say on them
- say sorry if we get it wrong, take responsibility and put things right.
We will make it easy and accessible to all
We will make it easy for you to talk to us and get the information or services you need. We will:
- make our services accessible to all so that no one is left behind
- improve how we work so that you only have to tell us information once
- make more of our services and information available online, so you can access them at any time, any place or on any device
- communicate clearly in a way that meets your needs
- make sure that you can quickly and easily find information about any support or help that you need.
We build good relationships
We will work with and alongside people and communities and put them at the heart of what we do.
- be fair, kind, and compassionate
- make it easier for you to engage and connect with us
- support you to get involved in shaping services and to take part in local democracy
- help you in making a difference on what matters to you and your community
- value difference and make everyone feel included.
You can help us keep our promise by:
- Treating us politely and with respect
- Letting us know if you have any specific needs
- Giving us the information we need to help you
- Giving us feedback so we can learn and improve.
Dignity and respect
Through our customer promise we are committed to promoting a culture and environment where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and can live and carry out their work in a safe and respectful environment.
We take a zero-tolerance approach to any unacceptable behaviour towards any member of staff, councillor or council contractors.
Any act of bullying, discrimination, physical or verbal harassment is unacceptable. If our staff are put in such a situation, we will take action to protect them. The action we take will depend on the circumstances.
If you would like to read more, please see our Discrimination and unfair practice page.