Where to get help after a flood

Contact your local district or borough council

It is important to inform your district or borough council that your property has flooded. They may be able to offer support and co-ordinate rest centres if you need to leave your property.

Other key contacts

Surrey County County Contact Centre - Telephone: 0300 200 1003 is available 24 hours a day.

Your Surrey County Councillor may be able to offer advice or support. You can find details for your County Councillor via the Surrey County Council Your Councillors web page.

Call the Environment Agency - Telephone: 0345 988 1188 (24 hour service) to report severe flooding in your area and visit the website for up to date information about flood alerts and flood warnings.

Visit the Highways Agency website for the latest traffic information on Surrey's major roads. For local traffic and travel information, you can follow BBC Surrey Travel Twitter.

Call UK Power Network - Telephone: 0800 783 8866 (from your landline) or 01243 50 8866 (from your mobile) to report a power cut or if you are concerned about electrical safety. You can also visit their website to see if they are aware of a power cut in your area.

If you believe your property has been contaminated with sewage please contact your water supplier. In Surrey this could be Thames Water, Southern Water or Affinity Water

The National Flood Forum (NFF) provides free, independent advice and support on a range of issues from dealing with your insurer to practical advice for getting back on your feet. They can even help families find alternative accommodation.