The Tell Us Once service

What is it?

Once you have registered a death, you can use the UK government's 'Tell us Once' service.

This is an online tool that allows you to notify several government and local council services in one go, for example the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), council tax and many others.

Find full details on Tell Us Once and the different departments you can notify.

I can't register the death

If you have been issued with a Coroners Fact of Death (Interim Death Certificate) you may still be able to use the service. To access the service you will need to:

  1. Get a reference from the Coroner. They should provide you with a nine digit reference number that looks like '12345-2021'. The last four digits indicate the year of issue.
  2. Complete our online Tell Us Once information form.
  3. Once we receive your completed form, we will register the details onto the Tell Us Once Service and send you a unique reference number. This usually happens within 48 hours of receiving your request.
  4. Go to the GOV.UK Tell Us Once page and complete the Tell Us Once service information.

If you have any difficulty completing the form, please contact us.

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.