Skip to main content

Registering a birth

Booking your birth registration appointment

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. This page will help you with the legal procedures.

Births must be registered within 42 days of a child being born.

If your child was born in Surrey you can register the birth at any one of the following register offices in Surrey: Camberley, Farnham, Guildford, Leatherhead, Reigate or Weybridge.

  • You must book an appointment in advance to register a birth.
  • If you do not speak or understand English please bring someone who can translate for you. Please contact us if you need help.

Book your appointment

Please note: Using a Samsung browser will prevent you from completing a booking. Please use an alternative browser.

Requesting your birth re-registration appointment

Appointments to re-register a birth cannot be made online. You will need to request a re-registration appointment if you are:

  • re-registering your child following your marriage or civil partnership.
  • adding father's details to an existing registration.

Applying for a correction to your existing birth registration

If you want to make a correction or change to an existing registration you will need to contact us.

Who can register a child's birth?

  • If the parents are married to each other or in a civil partnership together, either parent can register.
  • If the parents are not married to each other, the father must attend the appointment with the mother if his details are to be included on the registration; if the mother attends alone, no father's details will be recorded.
  • If two female parents are not in a marriage or civil partnership together, both must attend the appointment and meet the requirements of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act if the second female details are to be included on the registration; if the mother attends alone, no second female parent details will be recorded.

Details the registrar will need to know

  • Place and date of the birth
  • Forenames and surname you have chosen for the child
  • Sex of the child
  • Parents' names, surnames and address (including any former names)
  • Places and dates of parents' birth
  • Date of parents' marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
  • Parents' occupations
  • Mother's maiden surname.

What to bring to the registration

Please bring your 'Red Book' or any birth paperwork provided by the hospital or midwife.

It would also be useful to bring:

  • Your passport or birth certificate
  • Proof of your current address
  • Proof of any former name or names (for example, change of name deed or marriage certificate)
  • Birth certificate of any previous children
  • Your marriage certificate where applicable

Please note that you are not legally required to produce these documents but if you do they can help to ensure your child's birth is correctly registered.

You are not required to bring your baby to the appointment.

How much does it cost

  • It is free to register a birth.
  • A full birth certificate containing the parents' details can be purchased on the day of registration for the cost of £11 each. A full birth certificate will be required during the child's life for many purposes, including applying for passport and child benefit.