This page includes information for:
- adult carers for those preparing for adulthood
- young carers or siblings of people preparing for adulthood
Support for carers of all ages
In Surrey there are many ways to get support as a carer. When you are the parent of someone with a disability who needs a lot of support there may be times when you need help too.
We have helpful information to support you as a carer.
Changes for parents and carers as your child transitions to adult life
The Care Act recognises the rights of carers. At the same time as a child with disabilities starts their journey to adulthood, and they are referred to the Adult Social Care Transition Team, you, as a parent or carer, can also ask for a carer's assessment.
A carer's assessment is not about your capability to care but it is to look at ways in which we can best support in you in your caring role.
How a carer's assessment can help you
The carer's assessment is:
- a conversation that helps the Transition Team understand the best way to support you in your caring role and in your life outside of caring
- to share your experience of caring and to recognise your role as a carer
- get information, advice and help
- identify and discuss any difficulties you may have in your caring role and in other aspects of your daily living
- to consider contingency plans if you were not able to continue to provide care.
You may already have a good idea of what kind of help you need to make your caring role easier. If you are unsure, the carer's assessment will give you a chance to think about this and talk through the options of support.
What support is there for young carers and siblings?
We know that having a brother or sister with additional care needs can affect their siblings. It can have a big impact on the things that are important to growing up: like school work and friendships. However, you don't have to struggle to cope on your own.
There are lots of people who can help support you to make time for school work, hobbies or spending time with friends.
Surrey Young Carers is an organisation that supports young carers to get the information and advice they need. They can give you someone to talk to and give you opportunities to have fun and make new friends with young people in similar circumstances.