Weed control

Page contents

How to report overgrown weeds on the highway

To report an issue with weeds, please use our online form (also for trees and hedges):

Report weeds causing a safety risk

Where weeds are controlled

All pavements and kerbs in residential roads are treated to control weeds. The edges of paths immediately adjacent to walls or buildings are also treated when necessary.

When weeds are controlled

Most residential roads in Surrey are treated once a year but there may be local variation. The sprays are timed to coincide with the weed growth for maximum control.

What is a weed?

A weed is a plant growing in a location where it is not wanted. On our highways, any plants growing in pavements and kerbs or around drains and street furniture, are weeds.

Why we control weeds

Weeds are controlled for the following reasons:

  • Safety: weed growth can interfere with visibility for road users and obscure traffic signs. Weeds in kerbs or around drains can prevent or slow down drainage. Their growth on pavements may damage the surface causing broken and uneven slabs.
  • Structure: weed growth can destroy paving surfaces, force kerbs apart and crack walls, causing safety issues and greatly increasing our maintenance costs.

How we control weeds

Weeds are controlled using environmentally friendly and effective herbicides. When the herbicide is applied to a weed, usually by spraying, it works its way through the plant killing it completely. On contact with soil, the herbicide breaks down into harmless substances.

The herbicides used in Surrey have a very low toxicity to humans, animals and insects and can be used in areas open to the public and their pets. In areas close to water courses and reservoirs, herbicides are not used.

We are committed to exploring alternatives methods of weed control over the coming years. We regularly consult with independent experts for advice on weed control and related issues, to ensure that we are fully up-to-date with changes in legislation, herbicide recommendations and commercial practice.

Weeds and legislation

There are five weeds listed in the Weeds Act 1959, Spear Thistle, Creeping or Field Thistle, Curled Dock, Broad Leaved Dock and Common ragwort. We will remove ragwort on highway verges where there is, in our view, a high risk of ragwort spreading to land used for the grazing of horses, other grazing animals, or for the production of animal feed.

Under section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it can be an offence to plant or grow certain specified plants in the wild, including Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed. There is no statutory requirement for landowners to remove these plants from their property but it is an offence to allow them to spread to adjacent land.

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.