In 2022 Surrey County Council shared proposals to improve road safety for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists and better utilise green space in Tongham. Since the initial engagement, plans have been developed to deliver the scheme. To see information about the earlier engagement, visit the Ash and Tongham enhancements commonplace site.
The scheme will be carried out in two phases. The plans developed at this stage are for the first phase of the improvements. We aim to start work on phase one in Spring or Summer 2023. The final plans are still being developed for phase two of the scheme, we will share further updates once we have these.
Phase one: delivering road safety improvements on The Street, Oxenden Road and Poyle Road
- Introduction of a series of raised tables and pedestrian crossing point on The Street
- A speed cushion and kerb buildout on Oxenden Road
- A priority give-way system on Poyle Road to highlight to vehicles that they are entering a village environment and encourage slower and safer driving.
Following feedback received in the earlier engagement, the scheme proposes to ban pavement parking along The Street to ensure pavements remain clear for pedestrians, making them safer and easier to use.
Residents will be able to comment on the proposed pavement parking ban through the statutory consultation process. Sign up to the Tongham e-newsletter at the bottom of this webpage for updates on the scheme and notification of any upcoming consultation.
The changes are to be monitored for a period of up to six months, and if appropriate, a 20-mph zone will also be introduced. To view the scheme drawings, please visit the Ash and Tongham enhancements commonplace site.
Phase two: changes to The Street junction and creation of a pocket park in Tongham
- Creating an area of green space with seating for public use (pocket park) on the grassed area to the north of the Nisa Local store
- New planting, sustainable drainage systems (rain gardens) with seating and additional cycle stands on The Street
- Introduction of a raised junction between Grange Road, The Street, and Poyle Road with an uncontrolled crossing point.
This phase of the scheme is being designed in line with feedback received from engagement with residents last year. We will share plans at a later stage once they have been developed.
If you have any feedback or questions about the plans to carry out these road safety improvements, please email Ash&Tongham@surreycc.gov.uk.
Subscribe to the Tongham enhancements e-newsletter
To sign up, please complete the form and press the subscribe button. Read our privacy notice to find out how we store, use and collect your data.