Mirrors on the highway
We do not allow new mirrors to be put on the highway. This is because experience shows that rather than improving safety, a mirror could increase safety risks, which include;
- reflect light and interfere with a driver's vision
- reduce the ability to judge an oncoming vehicle's speed
- create an unreasonable dependence on the mirror
- if dirty, distorts or restricts the view
- be an easy target for vandals
Other measures to increase sight lines
If you are concerned about the visibility from your driveway, please consider other measures that might improve sight lines, for example, cutting back vegetation or moving boundary fences.
If you are concerned about the visibility at a particular junction please report a road safety concern.