- Name of service - Parking and Traffic Enforcement Team
- Directorate - Environment, Transport and Infrastructure
- Date of issue - 5 March 2019
- Date of current version - 31 March 2023
- Review date - 31 March 2026
The reasons why we use your personal data
This privacy notice applies to the functions of the Highways Service relating to parking and traffic control.
Specifically this covers:
- Disabled bay applications
- Management and enforcement of on street parking and traffic restrictions
- Access protection marking applications
- Parking scheme consultations and administration
- Parking restriction requests
- Comments in response to formal advertisement of new parking restrictions
- Contacting HGV operators and other vehicle keepers who are in contravention of highway restrictions
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the service?
Your personal data is used to help manage and enforce on street parking and other traffic restrictions, as well as informing decision making in relation to traffic regulation orders.
In addition, we collect your personal data for the following:
- Service delivery
- Service improvement and planning
- Statistical analysis and reporting
What information do we collect?
We collect the minimum of information that is necessary which includes some or all of the following:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Email address
- Blue Badge details
- Vehicle registration details
- Unique identifying numbers
We use Body Worn Cameras overtly to protect Enforcement Agents, Civil Enforcement Officers and Resolutions Officers from physical assault and other forms of abuse in the course of them undertaking enforcement field services, and to support the prosecution of assailants in any such event.
Further information on how the data will be managed can be found on our contractor's, NSL/Marston Holdings, website.
How we are allowed to use your personal data
Legal obligation or public task under various UK legislation including but not limited to:
- Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
- The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996
- The Civil Enforcement of Road Traffic Contraventions (Approved Devices, Charging Guidelines and General Provisions) (England) Regulations 2022
- The Civil Enforcement of Road Traffic Contraventions (Representations and Appeals) (England) Regulations 2022
- Traffic Management Act 2004
- Civil Enforcement of Moving Traffic Contraventions Designations and Miscellaneous Amendments Order 2022
To process your personal data, we will explain to you what we are asking you to agree to and why. If we have consent to use your personal data, you have the right to remove it at any time. If you want to remove your consent, please contact us at the following email address email@example.com and we will deal with your request.
Who we share your personal data with
We may share your data with borough and district councils in Surrey and our contractors in order to deliver the services we provide.
We may share your data with the Surrey Police, in order to prevent crime and fraud.
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
Retention of data
Data will be retained in accordance with our countywide data retention schedules.
In respect of Body Worn Cameras, footage will be stored and processed securely and retained for a period of 90 days, unless there is a lawful requirement to retain further.
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.