- Name of service - Blue Badge Team
- Directorate - Customers, Digital and Transformation
- Date of issue - 31 May 2018
- Review date - 31 May 2019
The reasons why we use your personal data
Purpose / function of the service
This privacy notice applies to the functions of the Blue Badge team, which is part of Customer Services. The Blue Badge team administers the disabled blue badge parking scheme in Surrey.
What processing of personal data is undertaken by the specific teams or services
The Blue Badge team processes applications for disabled residents, determining resident eligibility for the scheme. We have records of who has been issued a blue badge in order to carry out our statutory responsibilities under the different legislative frameworks. In addition, personal data is collected for the following purposes:
- Service delivery
- Service improvement and planning
- Prevention and detection of crime/fraud
- Statistical analysis and reporting
What information do we collect?
- Bank Account
- contact Number
- Date of Birth
- Drivers Licence,
- Email Address
- Family Members
- Job position / Title
- Mother maiden name
- National Insurance Number
- Passport Number
- Place of birth
- Spouses / Partners
- Vehicle registration plate number
- Data concerning health
- Photograph of an individual
- Financial Data
How we are allowed to use your personal data
Legal obligation or public task under various UK legislation including but not limited to:
- Local Government Act
- Localism Act 2011
- The Crime and Disorder Act 1998
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/682);
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/1507);
- Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Exemptions for Disabled Persons) (England) Regulations 2000 (SI 2000/693);
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007/2531);
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment No. 2) Regulations 2007 (SI 2007/2600);
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment Regulations 2011 (SI 2011/1307).
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2011 (SI 2011/2675)
- Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/2203)
Other relevant legislation:
- Section 21A (Recognition of badges issued outside Great Britain) of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970.
- Sections 115 (Mishandling of parking documents and related offences), 117 (Wrongful use of disabled person's badge) and 142(1) General interpretation of Act) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (provides powers to tackle parking related abuse of the scheme).
Who we share your personal data with
- Surrey County Council employees where appropriate (e.g. to resolve an enquiry; for complaint investigation, following DfT guidance to cross reference Blue Badge eligibility with free bus team in order to confirm automatic eligibility for a disabled bus pass and administration of Tell us Once scheme)
- Assessment centre medical staff
- Northgate (3rd party supplier who produce the badges)
- other local authorities
- Surrey local borough and district councils (parking enforcement)
- Surrey Police
- DfT and their appointed sub-processor, Valtech UK Ltd
Automated decision making (when computers make any decisions about you)
We do not use automated decision making.
Personal data being sent or processed outside of the UK and EU
We do not send or process data outside of the UK and EU.
Retention of data
Data will be retained in accordance with our customer services data retention schedule (PDF).
For further information on our privacy notices, please see information and privacy.