Sheep and goat keeper requirements

If you are a new livestock keeper please ensure that you have obtained a holding number from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) on 03000 200 301 and then a herd/flock number from the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA a DEFRA agency) on 03000 200 301, which will then notify us.

The electronic reporting of sheep, goat and deer movements was introduced on 1 April 2014. The system is called ARAMS – Animal Reporting and Movement Service. A paper system will remain for farmers who do not have Internet access or who are not ready to use the electronic system to report movements directly to ARAMS (and not to Trading Standards).

All registered sheep and goat keepers in England should have received an information leaflet from Department for Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) with the direct mailing of their Sheep and Goats Annual Inventory forms. Information on the new system is now available on the new website

For more information on keeping sheep and goats, please read through the following information from Department for Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) and

If you have any queries contact our Business Advice line on 0300 123 2329 or email: