Financial advice and assistance

If you are struggling with finances, here are some recommendations of reliable sources of financial advice and assistance.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can be contacted either online or by phone for info and advice around:

  • Managing universal credit or help with claiming universal credit
  • Debt
  • Pensions
  • Budget advice

Their debtline is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on 0800 240 4420, or you can chat online between 8am and 7pm, Monday to Friday.

Money Helper

Money Helper is a government-approved online advice service provided by the Money and Pensions Service, a body sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions. Contact them:

    By phone on 0800 011 3797
  • By webchat via the Money Helper online portal.
  • Via WhatsApp: Add +44 7701 342 744 and send their national support team a message for help with debts, credit questions and pensions guidance.
  • Via Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622

Step Change debt charity

Step Change provide the UK's most comprehensive debt advice service. They have a wide selection of debt management resources to download and you can also get personalised advice online or over the phone.

Use of this service is free and confidential and will not affect your credit score.

Employee Assistance

As well as offering psychological support, Care first can also put you in touch with a financial information specialist. You can call the 24/7 helpline on 0800 174 319 and ask to make an appointment. The programme is available to all Surrey Fire; Rescue and SCC employees, with the exception of some Schools staff. Any contact you make with Care first is completely confidential. A list of school staff who can access EAP is on the Schools Portal.

Am I eligible for financial assistance?

Turn2Us – A search facility to help you identify benefits or grants that you can apply for. You can use the facility online or make a call to their helpline.

Professionals Aid Guild - A benevolent fund that helps professionals and graduates in the UK with financial assistance from any professional background.

There For You (Unison Welfare) – One off grant of £250 to help with essential expenses. To be eligible you need to have been a member for four weeks and be up to date with subscriptions.

Blue Light Card – retail card offering up to 5% discount. Eligibility restricted to emergency service workers and social care staff.

Social Workers Benevolent Trust – Offering financial help to social workers and their dependents in times of hardship. You will need to fill in an application form in order to be considered.

Care Workers' Charity - Crisis Grant - open to care workers who have experienced a recent change in circumstance resulting in a significant financial impact. Applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Carers Trust: Grants & Financial Support for Unpaid Carers - Sources of support, funds and charities that can help unpaid carers with a range of expenses.

Related links

Be informed about your pension before making changes to it - The Surrey Pension Fund home page.

Be aware of scams - Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards.

Visit our Health and welfare section.

Subscribe to our newsletters for latest news and events.