Teaching road and pedestrian safety at your school
Our new Feet First: Walking Training programme is aimed at children ages 7 to 8 years old (Year 3) and will be delivered by trained Walking Instructors employed by Surrey County Council.
The training course will provide pupils with road safety skills to better enable them to safely walk to and from school with their parents and carers and prepare them for independent travel. It will be taught through a combination of classroom and practical roadside sessions.
The training programme will consist of three areas:
- In school pre-training digital modules across 6 topics areas hosted via Agilisys
- On-site training led by trained Walking Instructors and in class lesson plans for teachers
- At home activities to complete with parents and carers
This training will cover the following learning topics:
- The Green Cross Code
- Road signs and pedestrian crossings
- Recognising safer and unsafe places to cross
- How to cross between parked cars
- The benefits of active travel
The cost of the course will be per pupil and we have provided suggestions on how a school can fund this here. Please find the course cost breakdown below:
- Full cost per pupil: £6
- Pupils receiving free school meals: £3
To submit your booking request for running Walking Training within your school please use the same booking platform as Bikeability.
How to request a Walking Training booking:
- Login to the Bikeability booking site here.
- Use your existing login details. If you do not have Bikeability login details or are unsure what they are please contact us at WalkingTraining@surreycc.gov.uk and we can assist you.
- Select the Request Training tab and then select Feet First Walking Training
We will then review training requests against the availability of our Walking Instructors and will confirm course dates as soon as possible. Further guidance will then be sent in the run up to your course.
- E-mail: WalkingTraining@surreycc.gov.uk
- Telephone: 01483 517515