The Brooklands Business Park Accessibility Project
The Brooklands Business Park Accessibility Project is a scheme to improve accessibility between the Brooklands Business Park, Weybridge railway station, and Weybridge town centre. The scheme is particularly aimed at improving travel choice and sustainable transport accessibility. It will make travel options more inclusive and help to reduce the reliance on travelling by car in the area. The scheme, that is being developed in partnership with Elmbridge Borough Council, aims to support Brooklands as an attractive location for businesses to be based.
The following elements are being taken forward for inclusion in the project (subject to acquiring relevant permissions):
- Provision of a cycling/walking route between the Brooklands Business Park, Weybridge Railway Station and towards Weybridge town centre. A map has been included below to show where the route is proposed.
- Improving the pedestrian refuges in the vicinity of Weybridge Railway Station.
- Changes at Weybridge Railway Station to potentially increase cycle storage, provide bus real-time information screens to better integrate rail/bus travel, and improve the footway by the station entrance.
- Seeking to make improvements to and safeguarding access through private roads in Brooklands.
- Providing better public bus facilities (shelters, real-time passenger information, raising kerbs and provision of clearway markings).
- Improving wayfinding signage in the area to assist with navigation for those travelling on foot or by bike.
How is the project being funded?
Surrey County Council submitted a bid for Local Growth Funding from the Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) to fund the majority of the project. The Business Case for £2,172,000 LEP funding has been approved. The total (full scope) project budget is £2,896,000 with the additional funding coming from local contribution.
Progress so far and next steps
The delivery of the project is currently scheduled up until March 2021.
Improvements to the pedestrian refuges near Weybridge Railway Station
Works to improve the pedestrian refuges outside Weybridge Station were taken forward in November and December 2019. Refuges were widened/installed at three locations near the station: across Heath Road, across Hanger Hill, and across the entrance to the station (Station Approach/Old Heath Road). Where the refuge has been widened across Heath Road, the final surface on the eastern footway is still to be completed. This has been planned to proceed with the Heath Road shared pedestrian/cycle path works to ensure one continual surface. The works completed were taken forward to improve pedestrian provision and safety in this busy location outside the station.
On the southern side of the railway, the pedestrian refuge across Brooklands Road by St. George's Avenue is also planned for widening. The detailed design work has been completed but dates for construction in 2020 are still to be confirmed.
Heath Road Pedestrian/Cycle Path
Immediately north of Weybridge Railway Station, we will be constructing a shared pedestrian/cycle path along the western side of B374 Heath Road as far as Brooklands Lane. This scheme will provide a wide path, separated from traffic that both pedestrians and cyclists can use to improve sustainable travel options in the area as well as accessibility to and from Weybridge Station.
Colas Ltd has been appointed as the contractor and works started on 17 February 2020. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, works on site have been suspended.
Further information and regular updates for this specific scheme are available on the Brooklands Business Park accessibility project roadworks page.
Common Land Application
As the shared pedestrian/cycle path along Heath Road requires building a path on Weybridge Heath Common Land, it has been necessary to obtain consent from the Planning Inspectorate to carry out the works. An application was submitted in October 2017 and an Inspector was appointed to determine the decision of the application. Consent was awarded in July 2018 in accordance with the application. Below we have provided details of the Inspector's decision and the original Application documents submitted.
- Common Land Application - Inspector's Decision (PDF)
- Application for consent to carry out works on Weybridge Heath Common Land (PDF)
- Common Land Application Appendix A (PDF)
- Common Land Application Appendix B (PDF)
- Common Land Application Appendix C (PDF)
- Common Land Application Appendix D (PDF)
- Common Land Application Appendix E (PDF)
Cycle Track Order
Having undertaken consultation, we have made a Cycle Track Order to convert two sections of Public Footpath no. 23 Walton and Weybridge to cycle track. The cycle track will be recorded as having a width of 2m, leaving the remaining width of these sections of public footpath on the Definitive Map. In reality there will be no segregation between the cycle track and footpath. The sections that will be converted are shown across the two plans below:
The conversion to cycle track is needed to permit cyclists to use these sections of the scheme's route between the Brooklands Business Park and Weybridge Railway Station. The project will fund construction works to provide a high quality cycle route between the Business Park and Railway Station, including improved surfaces, lighting and signage. The Cycle Track Order has been made without any objections being raised. Although the Order has been made, the cycle track status will come into effect after the construction works have been completed, ensuring a high standard facility is provided for cyclists first. Below is the Notice advertised when the Order was made.
For further enquiries you can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include 'Brooklands Accessibility' in your email subject.
Files available to download
- Brooklands Business Park Accessibility Project - Proposed Cycling and Walking Route Map (135.6 KB)
Map of cycling and walking route between Brooklands and Weybridge
- Common Land Application - Inspector's Decision (558.2 KB)
Inspector's Decision for Weybridge Heath Common Land Application
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application (298.4 KB)
Application to construct on Weybridge Heath Common Land
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application Appendix A (219.6 KB)
Map of Weybridge Heath pedestrian-cycle path proposal
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application Appendix B (607.0 KB)
Map of existing paths on Weybridge Heath
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application Appendix C (673.5 KB)
Feasibility notes for Weybridge Heath pedestrian-cycle path
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application Appendix D (464.2 KB)
Elmbridge BC letter of support for Weybridge Heath Common Land application
- Weybridge Heath Common Land Application Appendix E (359.2 KB)
Weybridge Heath Commons Register
- Footbridge near Seven Arches Bridge to Londsdale Road (501.5 KB)
Cycle Track Order map footbridge to Lonsdale Road
- Lonsdale Road to Heathbridge (461.0 KB)
Cycle Track Order map Lonsdale Road to Heathbridge
- Cycle Track Order Notice - Brooklands Business Park Accessibility Project (83.9 KB)
Notice for Cycle Track Order made for Brooklands Accessibility project